The Cricket Thread

bewlay

The Big Bash thing seems to be very popular, caught a little bit of the Melbourne vs Melbourne game and the crowd looked immense. How do folk chose between two sides from the same city of new 'franchise' teams? Must be a bit odd being used to supporting Victoria then suddenly being split in two.

I guess that for many it'll depend which stadium their preferred Aussie rules team call home.

29 minutes ago, Eednud said:

The crowd was listed as 71,162 for that game. Guess in Melbourne it might be down to which colour you prefer, Green for the Stars or Red for the Renegades or possibly if you prefer going to or getting to the MCG easier than Etihad. Same in Sydney Lime green for Thunder or pink for the Sixers. Venue might be more of an influence as there's a greater distance between Spotless Stadium which near the Olympic Stadium and SCG. The BBL squads teams are franchises and a lot of the players don't play in the State they represent in Sheffield Shield cricket.

From my limited knowledge is the Etihad not a football / rugby stadium? I know NZ have played many matches at Eden Park but the straight boundaries are tiny. Guess it's the same for both sides but makes it even more of a batsman's game.

From my limited knowledge is the Etihad not a football / rugby stadium? I know NZ have played many matches at Eden Park but the straight boundaries are tiny. Guess it's the same for both sides but makes it even more of a batsman's game.

Etihad is the current name for Docklands Stadium. It's an Aussie Rules stadium but Melbourne Victory play some of their bigger drawing home games there. It's also hosted Australian international games and rugby union internationals. It has a retractable roof.

50 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Etihad is the current name for Docklands Stadium. It's an Aussie Rules stadium but Melbourne Victory play some of their bigger drawing home games there. It's also hosted Australian international games and rugby union internationals. It has a retractable roof.

Cheers

Just looked it up there, the seats can be moved to suit a rectangular or oval field which is pretty neat. I was in Melbourne 2 years ago and could see it from my hotel window on the 16th floor, assumed it was a rectangular field because of the Melbourne Victory connection.

Rabada took 10 for the match and Abbot retired. Bit of a win\lose for England this summer. Him and a fit Morkel, Steyn, Philander might be a bit of a mouthful this summer, but with injuries they will miss Abbot.

Australia look in command again against Pakistan.

The dominant theme in test cricket seems to be home teams handing out utter humpings.

For reasons I'm not actually sure about I 'support' the hurricanes. They tend to do well but in recent SS seasons have been dire. Tim Paine captaining, he played a full season of club cricket in England last summer which I found surprising. Surely he'd do a job for a lesser Championship side?

England win a warm-up against India A.

Also it's being suggested (e.g. in the Daily Telegraph) that Cook will give up the Test captaincy and Root will take it on.

Very few captains score as well as they do without that burden, so I don't think it's a good thing for Root if true. On the flip side, if Cook is determined to step down then there isn't really anybody else who you could make skipper though and it might help Cook get back to his best.

13 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Decent effort from Broad here with a modicum of luck

https://grabyo.com/g/v/N0OV1vXbnAU

"Stuart Broad produces one of the highlights of his career"? Hmm. A guy who's getting towards 400 Test wickets, took 8 for 15 in an innings against Australia, and scored a big Test hundred? Is that tongue-in-cheek? Anyway, well done to him.

Edited by Bearwithme

"Stuart Broad produces one of the highlights of his career"? Hmm. A guy who's getting towards 400 Test wickets, took 8 for 15 in an innings against Australia, and scored a big Test hundred? Is that tongue-in-cheek? Anyway, well done to him.

The Big Bash League is a massive hype machine. The on field interview with Broad they asked a similar sorts of questions.

The Big Bash League is a massive hype machine. The on field interview with Broad they asked a similar sorts of questions.

Aussies have always hated broad. One of their rags refused to actually name him at one point and simply referred to him as 'the medium pace bowler'. Think it was down to him not walking....which ironically is a feature of Australian batting.

Aussies have always hated broad. One of their rags refused to actually name him at one point and simply referred to him as 'the medium pace bowler'. Think it was down to him not walking....which ironically is a feature of Australian batting.

I always found that funny. He had the Aussies really riled up. Made that spell at Trent Bridge in 2015 all the sweeter.