The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Just looking at the stats for the year and England have 4 of the top 5 Test run scorers, although that is slightly skewed by England having played 17 tests this year. Cook won't be going anywhere anytime soon, he has only just recently passed both the 10k and 11k runs marks. I think he'll be back to form cone the next match in July.

I certainly wouldn't drop Cook as a player but there is an argument for him relinquishing captaincy duties. I'm not convinced it's the best course of action and I reckon he wants to go to Aus and captain another Ashes series.

Who is there to captain though?

Root. It seems a case of when not if with Root.

Not sure it would be fair to burden root with captaincy just yet though he is certainly next cab off the rank. I'd give cook up to the next ashes at least as it would be a natural point to changeover. Big ask for root to take over with what only 7 tests at home before an away ashes. Like someone said earlier they've played 17 tests this year against decent opposition (even Bangladesh at home are no mugs anymore). Sky pundits are losing their shit cos they lost 8 tests....but there are plenty of decent stats as well. The team is still progressing and learning and top order feels like it's coming together now. This England side would annihilate virtually any England team from 90s.

Probably better in here than the gaming forum , I see Don Bradman Cricket 17 is out now on PS4, but sadly for someone who had DBC14 for PS3 and was hopeful of a few necessary improvements, it seems to be absolutely terrible and released in an unfinished and bug-ridden state based on the reviews I'm reading. Think I'll hold off a month or two until it's patched up.

edit: I thought by now we'd have a decent cricket console game, the same folk have made Big Bash 2016 for mobiles which is a fun way to spend a 20 minute train journey, but Brian Lara on the PS1 is still the best by a mile.

Edited by Fuctifano

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Probably better in here than the gaming forum , I see Don Bradman Cricket 17 is out now on PS4, but sadly for someone who had DBC14 for PS3 and was hopeful of a few necessary improvements, it seems to be absolutely terrible and released in an unfinished and bug-ridden state based on the reviews I'm reading. Think I'll hold off a month or two until it's patched up.

edit: I thought by now we'd have a decent cricket console game, the same folk have made Big Bash 2016 for mobiles which is a fun way to spend a 20 minute train journey, but Brian Lara on the PS1 is still the best by a mile.

Totally agree with you about early Brian Lara game, still got a copy. Got excited about Bradman 14 coming out but was disappointed with it very quickly.

On 21/12/2016 at 20:18, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

England lost because their spinners are very poor. It wouldn't matter who the captain was

There's losing, and then there's being utterly pumped and failing to learn from your mistakes. If England had played competently and lost there wouldn't be a problem. But they didn't. 

David Warner becomes the first batsman batsman to score a century before lunch on Day 1 of a Test match in Australia plus he only faced 78 balls. 100 n.o. at lunch, Australia 0/126. Only 4 others have scored centuries before lunch in on Day 1 of a Test, Victor Trumper in 1901, Charlie McCartney in 1926 and Don Bradman in 1930, all for Australia and think all in England and Majid Khan for Pakistan v NZ in 1976.

Cracking stuff from Warner smashing a ton before lunch, I think the best thing about test cricket is how despite it being 5 days, it's often 1 session, or even 20 minutes of a session that makes it so gripping. The last ashes down under was brilliant for short periods of time where loads was going on.

The Big Bash thing seems to be very popular, caught a little bit of the Melbourne vs Melbourne game and the crowd looked immense. How do folk chose between two sides from the same city of new 'franchise' teams? Must be a bit odd being used to supporting Victoria then suddenly being split in two.

The Big Bash thing seems to be very popular, caught a little bit of the Melbourne vs Melbourne game and the crowd looked immense. How do folk chose between two sides from the same city of new 'franchise' teams? Must be a bit odd being used to supporting Victoria then suddenly being split in two.

The crowd was listed as 71,162 for that game. Guess in Melbourne it might be down to which colour you prefer, Green for the Stars or Red for the Renegades or possibly if you prefer going to or getting to the MCG easier than Etihad. Same in Sydney Lime green for Thunder or pink for the Sixers. Venue might be more of an influence as there's a greater distance between Spotless Stadium which near the Olympic Stadium and SCG. The BBL squads teams are franchises and a lot of the players don't play in the State they represent in Sheffield Shield cricket.