The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Looks very much like another India win. They are a very good side but England have made a mess of the spin bowling department all the way through and ended up today with Rasheed bowling 28 overs in a row and quicker bowlers hanging around like spare you-know-whats at a wedding.

England's 400 First Innings total was the bare minimum they should have got on that pitch - all of the top six got into double figure but only Jennings went past 50. When you get in on subcontinent pitches you have to score big to win Tests. Decent innings by Buttler but like I said in the previous Test if picked solely as a batsman he should be played in the Top 4.

My personal opinion is that Root is adequate for the third spinner job, there is no other English spinner whose ability is screaming out to be included in the team. Having said that Cook again showed that when Plan A doesn't work he doesn't have the Machiavellian instincts of a great captain.

Unless England can skittle the last three wickets cheaply tomorrow morning it's gonna be a tough Second Innings for them.

Dawson wouldn't have been my choice but, having called him up, they might as well have played him. It would have been a different spin option and he can bat a bit.

As you suggest and as so often, the early part of the day will be vital tomorrow. If England can somehow get rid of Kohli quickly it will clearly help their chances - but I'd still expect them to lose!

Just now, btb said:

My personal opinion is that Root is adequate for the third spinner job, there is no other English spinner whose ability is screaming out to be included in the team. Having said that Cook again showed that when Plan A doesn't work he doesn't have the Machiavellian instincts of a great captain.

Jack Leach was going through teams left right and centre in the second half of the season. At the very least he should have went instead of Batty. Still raging they took him out there!

An absolute thrashing being dished out. England seem mentally broken. 

Their inability to get India out has done for them, they added over 330 runs for their last 4 wickets with England looking utterly clueless when it came to trying to break the 8th wicket stand of Kohli and J Yadav. Root showing his class once again.

Bairstow given caught out twice and both overturned. I didn't see the first one, but the second was a terrible decision. He missed it by a good 4 or 5 inches.

The first was the same, although it turned out to be a no ball. Stokes could be out, another review.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 20:38, Jupiter Jazz said:

Jack Leach was going through teams left right and centre in the second half of the season. At the very least he should have went instead of Batty. Still raging they took him out there!

Yeah kinda forgot about him - Leach would have been a brave selection, a strong finish to the season on some spin friendly tracks (although that was always going to be the case in the subcontinent too) he was playing 2nd XI cricket as recently as July. Maybe it would have been better to go for a guy on a streak for the big team rather than take the safe option of putting him in the Lions.

Disappointing finish to the Test from England's POV this morning losing their last 4 wickets for just 13 runs. I don't see them winning the last Test (don't see them getting a dead rubber bounce away from home) but making India bat again would have given them something positive to take out of the Test other than Jenning's century.

Edited by btb

Just now, btb said:

Yeah kinda forgot about him - Leach would have been a brave selection, a strong finish to the season on some spin friendly tracks (although that was always going to be the case in the subcontinent too) he was playing 2nd XI cricket as recently as July. Maybe it would have been better to go for a guy on a streak for the big team rather than take the safe option of putting him in the Lions.

He was only playing in the 2nd XI because he'd been injured. He was able to take wickets at the likes of Headingly, he'd also had a very good 2015 season. I wonder if he played for the likes of Surrey if he'd have went?

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think it's the third time ever. I can't say I'm surprised. If you lose to Bangladesh you aren't going to trouble India in India.

I wonder if Cook will retain the captaincy.

Shouldn't do. He's so dull and lacking in any sort of imagination. Team selections have been poor. Time for a change and let him concentrate on his batting.

Shouldn't do. He's so dull and lacking in any sort of imagination. Team selections have been poor. Time for a change and let him concentrate on his batting.

Who would you have instead? Root the only real choice but I wouldn't want him burdened with captaincy yet.

Just come off a series win in South Africa, not been great in India but a far better performance than any other side has managed there recently.

Not sure how much say the captain has with selection, not a lot he can do when his spinners get so much less out of the pitch than Ashwin and Jadeja.