The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Up early to see if England had a chance of pulling one back.

Effectively 61/4 with 35 overs to play after tea.

Still time for a collapse & slog if SS goes first over after tea but in the real world it's a draw for everyone but the dreamers.

Better result for England (statin' the bleedin' obvious) but similar story in that they haven't been able to take their chance & force a win. Maybe a bit harsh on England but I feel if circumstances had been reversed the Aussies would've conjured something up.

Inevitable century for Smith, can't be long now before they shake hands.....................

Edited by btb

I know it was a dead pitch, and there was rain. But England effectively had a day and a half to bowl Australia out and managed to take 4 wickets.

As was mentioned on here, they should have stuck the Aussies in to bat for 20 minutes or so at the end of the 3rd day. They might have got Warner early after he had been in the field all day. Would have been worth the gamble imo. Even though England bowled better in this match they still didn't look like taking 20 wickets.

If Mason Crane doesn't play in the last match then his inclusion in the squad could be the most pointless in England's Ashes touring history. I've no idea how good or bad he is at this level, but how badly does Moeen need to bowl before Crane gets a chance?

I'm not even sure the weather "saved" Australia to any real extent. At close of play they were 99 runs ahead with four wickets down, and Smith/Marsh at the crease. Obviously the mental situation is different if you're just fannying about for a draw, but on a slow pitch doing next to f**k all, I don't expect England would have got them all out for less than 400, and I certainly wouldn't bet again England's top and middle orders still managing to utterly shit the bed on a nothing pitch, after all without Cook's superb effort, their first innings would have been bang average. 

Hopefully the SCG wicket has a bit more life in it. 

I'm not even sure the weather "saved" Australia to any real extent. At close of play they were 99 runs ahead with four wickets down, and Smith/Marsh at the crease. Obviously the mental situation is different if you're just fannying about for a draw, but on a slow pitch doing next to f**k all, I don't expect England would have got them all out for less than 400, and I certainly wouldn't bet again England's top and middle orders still managing to utterly shit the bed on a nothing pitch, after all without Cook's superb effort, their first innings would have been bang average. 
Hopefully the SCG wicket has a bit more life in it. 

Boycott said at one point 'even if this was a timeless test they won't take 20 wickets between now and the start of the next test' and I think he wasn't far off.

Boycott said at one point 'even if this was a timeless test they won't take 20 wickets between now and the start of the next test' and I think he wasn't far off.
Steve Smith said they could play for another two days and the pitch wouldn't change, while Root went for four days. They have to do something with the drop in pitches or they will be the death of Test cricket, nobody wants to see a load of drawn matches.

In other news, it looks like Stokes won't even play in the ODIs and T20s with Malan tipped to take his place.

Malan added to the ODI squad with Stokes omitted. Stokes has been given permission to play in the IPL which starts in early April and runs until late May. Looks like he will play no part in the NZ leg of the England tour either and if he ends up playing in the latter stages of the IPL then he might even miss the start of the home Test series against Pakistan.