The Cricket Thread

bewlay

47 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

On BBC.  I picked my 11 without a great deal of debate.  Order might change right enough.  No Trott as an option who may have made 3 instead of Belly

1042549490_Screenshot_20191223-121852_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.8c0ea4c327ef1dbe7f217b2de45ddee4.jpg

I had Woakes instead of Tremlett, but there's not much in it. Trott/Bell and Prior/Bairstow were the other points of debate for me.

Sitting and working it out really highlighted to me how light the pace options have been beyond Anderson and Broad for the last decade, there is no-one that really stands out as the definitive third seamer.

I had Woakes instead of Tremlett, but there's not much in it. Trott/Bell and Prior/Bairstow were the other points of debate for me.
Sitting and working it out really highlighted to me how light the pace options have been beyond Anderson and Broad for the last decade, there is no-one that really stands out as the definitive third seamer.

It should have been Wood, had he been able to stay fit.

Woakes has an average of 27 and offers plenty with the bat. He's clearly ahead of Tremlett. What I found dispiriting was the lack of decent openers. Cook, obviously, then... well I had to pick Strauss but he retired in 2012. Hopefully the 2020s will see an improvement at the top of the order. 

14 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Woakes has an average of 27 and offers plenty with the bat. He's clearly ahead of Tremlett. What I found dispiriting was the lack of decent openers. Cook, obviously, then... well I had to pick Strauss but he retired in 2012. Hopefully the 2020s will see an improvement at the top of the order. 

Yep, the only one worthy of being in that conversation is Burns, and it's really early days for him. 

England's line up.

Burns

Sibley

Denly

Root

Stokes

Bairstow

Buttler

Curran

Archer

Anderson

Broad

Stokes's Dad in a stable condition, Bairstow in for Pope who is ill, while Leach still hasn't fully recovered from illness but would probably have missed out as England would have gone for 5 seamers anyway.

Anderson chucks down a loosener first ball, and Elgar feathers it down the leg side through to the keeper. 0/1. There was a slight delay at the start after a photographer tripped over something when he was getting set up and had to be stretchered away, don't know if that affected Elgar's concentration, but it was a shocker of a shot.

De kock played well but you still feel had this been a top level bowling attack then SA should have been all out around the 200 mark. Having said that England's fielding in general has been extremely good, stopping runs, holding on to catches. Both been done excellently.

An absolute shocker of a wasted review by England on a ball by Curran that was going well down leg side. He gets his reward soon after though for another decent spell, Pretorius edging one to Root who takes his 3rd catch of the day. Not much batting left in this SA line up, a lot resting on de Kock now.

Stokes has been off the field for quite a while, apparently dehydrated.