The Cricket Thread

bewlay

1 minute ago, jaggyness said:

England doing their best to throw away a promising recovery. Interesting dynamics around the England team. How long does Sibley get to not make a significant contribution? Is Archer worth taking overseas? Does Bairstow get another chance after this test?

Sibley probably gets up to the West Indies series in the summer. Archer will probably get longer than he deserves because Mark Wood won't be able to stay fit. Bairstow will be out for the next test and Pope will be back in.

Sibley probably gets up to the West Indies series in the summer. Archer will probably get longer than he deserves because Mark Wood won't be able to stay fit. Bairstow will be out for the next test and Pope will be back in.
I agree but is it now worth looking at someone else for the windies and leaving bairstow out completely?

Stokes goes.  England to be all out for 200.
A stat came up that only Stokes has averaged over 40 in tests in 2019.  Has 50, next highest is Root with 36.
This England batting line up is shambolic.
Let's look at them.
Burns- plenty of guts, little ability and will never average 40.
Sibley - a county player, no footwork.
Denly - see Burns. 
Root - Captaincy has done him.  Who is alternative.
Stokes - class above but too rash at times. Some big innings but needs to step up a level to reach a Kallis.
Buttler - great ODI, never knows whether to stick or twist test level.  Often stuck with tail.
Bairstow - found out, has no front foot.
Pope- I like this lad, has potential, reminds me of Bell.
Crawley- give him a go.
Top of the order will stay the same with Pope coming in for Bairstow.

Says it all that Denly’s 5 50s in his last 5 Tests is what you consider form in this England side. Him and Burns sometimes look good but in reality they’re pretty average. Both helped by the fact nobody wants to bat 1-3.

I’m willing to give Sibley this series, but he needs to make a score by the 3rd Test or I’d give Crawley a go. Got to think it falls perfectly for Keaton Jennings to return in Sri Lanka.

Root, Stokes and Pope I’d keep at 4-6. Buttler is a white ball batsman, get Foakes in ASAP. Bairstow is shocking, get him to f**k until he scores first-class runs again.

They're a disgrace, terrible coaching and captaincy, braindead mindsets
Pitiful again.
Hussain "Archer needs to do something to knock Philander off his line.
"Bowled him".

Not sure a batting collapse -or two - has much to do with the captaincy so much as poor coaching. (the new batting coach being the same as the old batting coach).

Fair play to Engand's bowlers for coming out and putting another shift in, but even with 175 of a lead already it's going to be tough for England to save this game.

Markram and Elgar seem to have forgotten how to bat. Faf has been below-par too along with the newbie Hamza which has made a very shakey top 4 for SA. It’s all lying on van der Dussen and de Kock now, with a bit of help from Pretorius and the tail they can maybe get a 300+ lead given the time they have. England will need to get vd Dussen and de Kock early if they have any chance. I don’t want to see Bairstow in the whites this winter again.

Markram and Elgar seem to have forgotten how to bat. Faf has been below-par too along with the newbie Hamza which has made a very shakey top 4 for SA. It’s all lying on van der Dussen and de Kock now, with a bit of help from Pretorius and the tail they can maybe get a 300+ lead given the time they have. England will need to get vd Dussen and de Kock early if they have any chance. I don’t want to see Bairstow in the whites this winter again.
Anything over 220 will be hard to catch, lot of bounce in the pitch today after a day baking in the sun yesterday.

Only positive for England at the moment is they aren't doing as badly as the other team that won a boxing day toss and chose to bowl

No matter how bad it gets they can't possibly go back to Jennings.

Agreed but he’s rumoured to be in the squad for Sri Lanka early next year because of his ‘capability’ against spin. If Sibley (or even Burns who doesn’t have a very good record so far despite what it seems like) fail to score runs then I suspect we’ll see Jennings for SL before we see Crawley.

If picking Jennings was the start of the supposed 'horses for courses' approach that's been talked about for a while then I'd be ok with it. Chances are though that he'll do well in SL and then 'earn' the summer, where he'll once again be utterly exposed by the moving ball.

Edited by die hard doonhamer