The Cricket Thread

bewlay

A bit harsh, no? He didn’t really do it towards Root.

With no Rabada or Ngidi that makes England to strong favourites for the 4th Test.

All the pundits didn't think it was too excessive either (fwiw neither did I), but all said that under the current ICC rules he had overstepped the mark, and Rabada had accepted he was guilty.

Great morning for England, 4000 test runs for Stokes quickly followed by his ton.

All the pundits didn't think it was too excessive either (fwiw neither did I), but all said that under the current ICC rules he had overstepped the mark, and Rabada had accepted he was guilty. 
Great morning for England, 4000 test runs for Stokes quickly followed by his ton.

The only English player other than Sir Beefy to have achieved that feat

Stokes out for 120 and a first Test wicket for Paterson. Buttler out for 1 with a horrendous shot straight back to Maharaj, I think we should give Buttler some time away from the side now. Curran out LBW not given but no reviews for SA.

It’ll be Bairstow next up. Don’t know if that’s anything other than swings and roundabouts.

Unfortunately one of them will have to play in the last Test match but Foakes surely has to play in Sri Lanka?
You would hope so, especially now that 4, 5 and 6 in the order look solid. Buttler and Bairstow are just cheap wickets waiting to happen at the moment. Both need to get back to county cricket and score some runs to justify a place in the team.

Guest Bob Mahelp

The win in the 1st test disguised that fact that South Africa are really not very good. 

It does help England though that they've won the toss 3 tests in a row. 

They just showed the score of the opening match of the U19 World Cup in South Africa. Afghanistan comfortably beating South Africa by 7 wickets with half the game remaining. Ibrahim Zadran made a 50, he’s already played for the full Afghanistan side in all 3 formats, and has a Test Match 87. Shafiqullah took 6-15 in 9 overs. Good to see Afghanistan, who also turned England over a few days ago in a warm up, really excelling.

You would hope so, especially now that 4, 5 and 6 in the order look solid. Buttler and Bairstow are just cheap wickets waiting to happen at the moment. Both need to get back to county cricket and score some runs to justify a place in the team.

Even if Foakes isn’t a test number 7, you could have him at 8 and push Curran up. Can’t really see a massive weakness there.

Apologies if this has been covered, anyone watched the amazon prime documentary about England under Flower called The Edge? Obviously filmed in the last year or so. 

I'm about 3/4 of the way through it now, just getting to the point where it all starts to unravel. 

Not that many of the team come across as very likeable - certainly Finn, Trott, and maybe Bresnan. Pietersen obviously is marmite and Prior and Swann are total bellends (not news). 

The weirdest thing is seeing Ian Bell with a hermits beard. 

When Wood is going like that he is fantastic to watch, it's a real shame he can't stay fit.

What did Foakes do or not do to get left out in the first place?

Was left out in the Windies for Jennings, to shoehorn Denly in without opening, and to move Bairstow down to keep IIRC. Was a dreadful decision.

Edit - also I read something today that Pope is the first player aside from Root and Foakes to be averaging 40+ since Cook retired. Foakes averaged 41 I think, Pope averages 51 now, Root 48. Every other player in this England side averages below 40...

1 minute ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

Was left out in the Windies for Jennings, to shoehorn Denly in without opening, and to move Bairstow down to keep IIRC. Was a dreadful decision.

Aye anybody being left out for Jennings is a dreadful decision.

My memory isn't great but I can only remember Foakes scoring handy runs and keeping solidly. All seams a bit strange.