The Cricket Thread

bewlay

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Thought there that it would be funny if Anderson took 599 and 600 with the first two balls of this innings, and wondered if it would count as a hat trick even though it's two different innings, so I looked it up. Short answer is that it would, and Merv Hughes did it against the West Indies in 1988, where he took one with the last ball of an over, the next with the first ball of his next over, and the third with the first ball of the next innings.

Pretty sure Broad took a hat trick himself and didn’t realise it, because of those circumstances.  

Wouldn't have given Pakistan a sniff of getting over 250 last night, but Azhar Ali has played a phenomenal innings. Almost got himself run out there though.

Still well short of the follow on mark though at 260-8.

He’s going to face a lot of criticism as captain after this but at least he can point to his personal 141 not out.

We’re it not for Ali taking 6 off Archer in his last over Pakistan’s total would have matched Crawley’s 267 precisely

I’m somewhat annoyed with Archer for spoiling that

37 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Pakistan manage to hold out for a rain assissted draw, but not before Jimmy Anderson managed to pick up his 600th Test wicket, a phenomenal achievement. He was just 6 balls short of being the fastest to reach that milestone.

Or three dropped catches away?

Still say Root left them out there far too long on Saturday before declaring - I just can't take to him as a captain.

Ollie Pope out for 4 months after dislocating his shoulder during the third test against Pakistan. He dislocated it diving on the field, and it's the second time he has popped the same shoulder so requires an op.

T20 tonight against Pakistan at Old Trafford, starys at 6.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

Ollie Pope out for 4 months after dislocating his shoulder during the third test against Pakistan. He dislocated it diving on the field, and it's the second time he has popped the same shoulder so requires an op.

T20 tonight against Pakistan at Old Trafford, starys at 6.

Probably the best possible time for it to happen to him, if his recovery goes as planned it's likely he won't miss any test cricket.

Am I the only person not to see why Root being left out the T20 side is a big deal? Yes he can do a job there and yes he is very decent in the format, but really what that format needs is people who bludgeon it round the park with the bat and bowlers who can bowl full consistently. Neither of those is Joe Root.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

Am I the only person not to see why Root being left out the T20 side is a big deal? Yes he can do a job there and yes he is very decent in the format, but really what that format needs is people who bludgeon it round the park with the bat and bowlers who can bowl full consistently. Neither of those is Joe Root.

It's because people are desperate to keep him in the same conversation as Kohli, Smith and Williamson, which he hasn't been for a few years now.

Ultimately, I think he can force his way back in, but he needs to play the format, which he hasn't really done for the last 3 years.

19 hours ago, jaggyness said:

I’m with you.  I think he’s absolutely one of the best test match batsmen England has ever produced, and the less he plays T20 the longer he’ll play for the test team. I think one day cricket allows him to turn his hand over and play slightly more expansively.  

I’m with you.  I think he’s absolutely one of the best test match batsmen England has ever produced, and the less he plays T20 the longer he’ll play for the test team. I think one day cricket allows him to turn his hand over and play slightly more expansively.  
Absolutely. One of Root's major qualities is keeping the score ticking over at a reasonable rate. This is essential in one day and at test level is beneficial. But his game, which I agree is generally all round excellent, just isn't as well suited to T20 as a Williamson or even a Stokes

36 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
52 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Absolutely. One of Root's major qualities is keeping the score ticking over at a reasonable rate. This is essential in one day and at test level is beneficial. But his game, which I agree is generally all round excellent, just isn't as well suited to T20 as a Williamson or even a Stokes

It’s the reason he’s not ideal for number three as well. He’s the anchor - the original plan was to have him opening in tests, if you recall, but he’s too expansive for that and not quite suited for three.  No shame in that - not everyone’s game is suited to opening.