The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Can't see England surviving against the spinners batting last. 
Not going at this rate, anyway. They're going too slow i reckon.

Be careful, get yourself in, and then you need to score. The pitch has too many demons to be trying to hang around.

(although as i always have to mention, I've never played the game and so know very little)

Broad will be hoping they can get it down to 50 or 60 by the time he comes in. The way he's batting he'd be all over that opportunity.

Once again, it proves that the lineup isn't right. Archer hasn't delivered what he was supposed to. Surely the management team aren't happy with him bowling within himself like this? As others have said, there are better mid-paced options, and someone like Curran would add more threat with the bat.

19 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Broad will be hoping they can get it down to 50 or 60 by the time he comes in. The way he's batting he'd be all over that opportunity.

Once again, it proves that the lineup isn't right. Archer hasn't delivered what he was supposed to. Surely the management team aren't happy with him bowling within himself like this? As others have said, there are better mid-paced options, and someone like Curran would add more threat with the bat.

Yup.  Everyone’s a position too high.  But they know that.  I think if there was no doubt over Stokes, Archer would have missed out on this and a batsman or Curran would have replaced him.  

That being said, these two could make a real game of it.  This has been a fantastic test.

Edit: Archer looks like a one day player to me.  I don’t think he’s got the variety for test bowling.

Edited by Savage Henry

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

This is exactly the type of Test match finish I like. Loads of time left, and a reachable target, but with only one "proper" batsman left. Always great fun.

I have no idea why fourth innings chases are so difficult, other than deteriorating pitches.  On the face of it, England are doing well here, but one more wicket and you’d think they’d roll over.   But yes, the ups and down of a genuinely close test match with a pitch helping batters and bowlers is a thing of beauty.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

I have no idea why fourth innings chases are so difficult, other than deteriorating pitches.  On the face of it, England are doing well here, but one more wicket and you’d think they’d roll over.   But yes, the ups and down of a genuinely close test match with a pitch helping batters and bowlers is a thing of beauty.

It's also the fact that the wickets left are guys like Broad, who has one of the highest numbers of Test Match ducks but also has a Test 150.

Sport is best when it's unpredictable, and that is exactly what we have here.

It's also the fact that the wickets left are guys like Broad, who has one of the highest numbers of Test Match ducks but also has a Test 150.
Sport is best when it's unpredictable, and that is exactly what we have here.
If buttler is the hero here then he's surely undroppable?

Nail biting stuff this as the % win prediction wheel starts to turn, Pakistan still slight favourites but under just as much pressure now. Not sure turning to the short stuff is the answer given that both Buttler & Woakes now have their ‘eye-in’? Cracking contest! with the Rugby League & Golf USPGA day 3 to follow, a decent Sporting Saturday all round! [emoji106]

Suppose one of the big questions for the England selectors for the next match, irrespective of the result here, is who do you drop to bring in an extra batsman? Right now it's between Anderson and Archer I'd say. Or leave both out and bring Wood back in along with likely Crawley?

You just know the DRS folk were going through that decision over and over again to 'get it right', hence the delay. Nothing scientific about that one as could you really tell how much it had spun? Personally I thought it was missing off stump as it had seriously gripped.