The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Just had a look at Pope's test stats, OK it's a relatively small sample size but he's averaging nearly 48 with the bat. For a number 6 that's outstanding

I’m no Andy Zaltzman but...

From number 6 he’s had three not outs which helps the average including a frankly ridiculous 135 not out in Port Elizabeth in January

The first two tests against the Windies were the 8th and 9th of his career and the worst. He’d never dropped below 25 in a test match before

If he gets out first ball tomorrow he’ll still be averaging 43.4

29 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I've watched a lot of creeket (Geoffrey) and I think the boy can be one of the best.

On another note, proud da time.  Was told by sons coaches that the wee fella is a fantastic all round cricketer, exceptionally talented and has great potential.   Must take after milkman as I couldn't hit a cows erse with a shovel.

Great stuff. Good that his club are back to it. We're hoping to get our juniors back in next week, but it all has to be okayed by the trust that own our ground, and they're being very particular about it.

First inter-club match for us tomorrow though, if it survives the rain. Had a few net sessions, but can't wait to get back out in to the middle and turn the arm over.

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Great stuff. Good that his club are back to it. We're hoping to get our juniors back in next week, but it all has to be okayed by the trust that own our ground, and they're being very particular about it.

First inter-club match for us tomorrow though, if it survives the rain. Had a few net sessions, but can't wait to get back out in to the middle and turn the arm over.

His lot started back last week and they have some festivals arranged from next week, rain guaranteed.

Its just a great game.  Hopefully you're on tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Broad having a flail at everything, runs quickly and get the ball in hand with favourable bowling conditions is the obvious plan

A reminder that Broad was, once upon a time, regarded as a genuine number 8 test batsman, and a potential all-rounder at test level.  This might be enough to mean England can’t lose the test.

Broad definitely enjoying himself. Did Strauss say something about it being the 3rd fastest 50 in tests for England or something?

ETA: I think he did

12:42

How's stat?!

ffb50fce-86bc-43c5-a42d-8be4667d9c5b.jpg

Andy Zaltzman

Test Match Special statistician

At 33 balls, that is the joint-third fastest half-century we have on record for England. The first two were by Ian Botham, one off 28 balls against India in Delhi in 1981 and 32 balls against New Zealand in 1986.

Edited by Mark Connolly

11 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

England in a pretty dominant position with the West Indies 137/6 at the close, and still requiring 33 runs to avoid the follow on. 

My club game went ahead today, 5 overs and 3 wickets for me, happy days.

IMG_20200725_132228.thumb.jpg.cd8dd524d03daf7cd7c55a52288a363a.jpg

It's great to be back.

Any time I had figures like that it tended to be 5-0-63-3 as the other team were giving it humpity against my dross.