The Cricket Thread

bewlay

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I think I was unfair on Ali.  I actually don’t see anything that has hastened the end of his career, if this was just clumsy language from Silverwood and/or Root.  I was under the impression he had requested to go home early like Thorpe did.  Obviously that isn’t the case.  

25 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think I was unfair on Ali.  I actually don’t see anything that has hastened the end of his career, if this was just clumsy language from Silverwood and/or Root.  I was under the impression he had requested to go home early like Thorpe did.  Obviously that isn’t the case.  

I think it's another example of piss poor management from the ECB. Root's slip of the tongue in using the word 'chosen' can be forgiven, but it should have been made clear in advance that Ali was going home after the second test, and it wasn't fair for Smith to them ask him to stay on.

I think it probably is the end of the line for his test career, though. I just don't see how he gets the opportunity again with all of the upcoming test series needing 1 spinner only.

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I think it's another example of piss poor management from the ECB. Root's slip of the tongue in using the word 'chosen' can be forgiven, but it should have been made clear in advance that Ali was going home after the second test, and it wasn't fair for Smith to them ask him to stay on.

I think it probably is the end of the line for his test career, though. I just don't see how he gets the opportunity again with all of the upcoming test series needing 1 spinner only.

I’d agree, but he’s comfortably the best spinner available for England. 

Michael Vaughan said a lot of the same things last night on the radio.

Whether deliberately or not, the choice of language made it appear that it had been a sudden change of mind when it was nothing of the sort.

It also raises the question of what it has done to Dom Bess's confidence. He was rested for that test and no doubt aware that Moeen was then heading home, then they effectively beg Moeen to stay.

I can understand the need for rotation at the moment, but find it bizarre that you would actually plan to tour India with a less than full strength team available.

The last point was discussed last night on Tuffers and Vaughan. It would be a big change in team selection if they were to pick more than one spinner at home, and Leach (wrongly imo) seems to be their chosen man at the moment. Hard to see where Moeen would get a chance.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
6 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The last point was discussed last night on Tuffers and Vaughan. It would be a big change in team selection if they were to pick more than one spinner at home, and Leach (wrongly imo) seems to be their chosen man at the moment. Hard to see where Moeen would get a chance.

I just don't rate Leach at all. I'd rather go in to home test matches with Root as the front line spinner than Leach, if I'm being honest.

So pink ball match next up. Possibility of seeing Broad and Anderson together? Would imagine Bess will be back with Ali's departure. Also potential for Bairstow/Crawley to come in for Lawrence. I think Burns will be given time to play himself back into form. The big question for me is does Stokes play? I think he's terrific but he's clearly not able to bowl much and hasn't looked great with the bat. The major flaw there is, without Ali there is a lack of all rounder if you take Stokes out so he'll probably play.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

So pink ball match next up. Possibility of seeing Broad and Anderson together? Would imagine Bess will be back with Ali's departure. Also potential for Bairstow/Crawley to come in for Lawrence. I think Burns will be given time to play himself back into form. The big question for me is does Stokes play? I think he's terrific but he's clearly not able to bowl much and hasn't looked great with the bat. The major flaw there is, without Ali there is a lack of all rounder if you take Stokes out so he'll probably play.

This is a 1 spinner match, I think. Bairstow for Lawrence, Woakes for Ali, Archer (if fit, otherwise Wood) for Stone, Anderson for Broad, and maybe Crawley for Burns, I think.

This is a 1 spinner match, I think. Bairstow for Lawrence, Woakes for Ali, Archer (if fit, otherwise Wood) for Stone, Anderson for Broad, and maybe Crawley for Burns, I think.
Agree with it being a one spinner match. Id actually have Bess over Leach as he's a far better batsman and they are much of a muchness as bowlers. Leach probably more controlled but also more expensive. Root can bowl more overs if necessary.

12 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
23 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Agree with it being a one spinner match. Id actually have Bess over Leach as he's a far better batsman and they are much of a muchness as bowlers. Leach probably more controlled but also more expensive. Root can bowl more overs if necessary.

I probably would as well, but Leach is in favour so I don't expect him to be dropped.

11 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Also I thought Stone bowled pretty well in the last test so he might keep his place.

He did, but given his injury history I'd be surprised to see him play back to back, particularly with Wood having had a rest.

First NZ v Australia T20 in Christchurch. NZ were 3/19 then 4/93, Devon Conway ends up on 99 no for 5/184. Australia 4/50 after 7.2 overs.

ETA: NZ give the scores the way most of you are used to so it’s 52/4 after 8 overs. 

Edited by Eednud

Other than Bess for Leach that's probably the team I would have picked. The pink ball already moving about but the key indicator on whether England have got this right is if it's still doing it after 40 overs. Getting through the first session with a maximum of one down would be a massive plus for them.