The Cricket Thread

bewlay

44 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Nae point in staring at your bat when you never moved your feet.

This is typical England. Decent Aus bowling, but they haven't got a clue how to temper their game and bat in these conditions. Utterly bizarre, with them being the Home nation.

I'll be honest, from what I've seen England could have taken a much more defensive approach and still be 7 down by now but with considerably less runs on the board. 

I backed australia to win this match after about fifteen minutes this morning as I thought this England team have an absolutely huge collapse in them and they haven't really had one this series, thought I was quids in twice already today. 

Australia still in charge but not a total disaster of a score even if they get bowled out without adding any more runs. 

Just now, peasy23 said:

I'll be honest, from what I've seen England could have taken a much more defensive approach and still be 7 down by now but with considerably less runs on the board. 

Possibly, but I'm talking more in terms of ball-by-ball shot selection rather than just switching to outright blocking mode. 

Fine taking a swing at a shite ball, but aside from the piss-poor shots Stokes and Bairstow played to lose their wickets, there was the likes of Brook the first ball Murphy came around the wicket. Didn't even have one sighter to see if the ball was going to do anything, nope, he took a massive step out side leg and played huge cross batted wipe. He got away with it because he middled it, but it turned a mile and would have clattered middle stump half way up.

That sort of approach is like playing Russian Roulette with a six-shooter, pretending probability isn't a thing, and being arrogant enough to believe that odds don't apply to you.

49 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Why has he been so meh this series?

It's a real surprise.  Woakes, Wood, and Broad have been so much better than him.

Because he is 40 and his decline might be sudden rather than steady?

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Yup, looks like good old father time.

On the face of it, he looks like he's doing all the right things, action is still tight, he still looks perfectly physically fit, the ball is mostly in the right areas, but there are park cricketers who can bowl like that well into their 50's and 60's even. There's absolutely no pop. 82-83mph with the ball dying off the pitch, he looks totally unable to induce any movement in the air either, so I don't think there's really any other conclusion you can come to.

13 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Nasser Hussain on commentary last night was arguing that it was simply too easy to put it down to age as he was coming, statistically, his best year ever last year. 

I suspect peasy is far closer to the mark to be honest. 

A year is a long time in sports, especially any sport where there is any sort of shut-down in between the intense part of the season. 

A couple of years back my NFL team had a kick returner who was still lightning quick and the best guy they'd had for years. Problem was, he was 34 and a free agent at the end of the year. I got flamed endlessly on the Chargers reddit for saying there was no way we should have re-signed him, because the legs often go on 34 year old players overnight, and it most frequently happens in the off season. That six month break means that when they come back, the guy who looked to be in the flushes of youth in December looks completely finished by the next August. Sure enough, they didn't re-sign him, he's never reappeared anywhere since.

Nas may well be right in terms of Jimmy having a great statistical year, but that does not in any way preclude his body hitting the 'wall' less than 12 months later. It's not total breakdown, it's just that enough of the explosive athleticism goes that everything you do is just 'meh' even though you are not doing it any differently in a technical sense.

Weather looks set fair for Scotland v Ireland at the Grange this afternoon. Should be a good contest, although the wicket wasn’t the most batsman-friendly yesterday for the game against Denmark, and Germany have struggled after a good start to get runs on the board against Italy this morning, finishing on 141 all out after 19.5.

Can Scotland win a toss? Checking back, we’ve lost 7 tosses in a row - against Zimbabwe and the Netherlands in the ODI WC qualifiers, and 5 in a row in these T20 qualifiers. 

Re: Jimmy Anderson I suspect he's lost a "fraction in the action" as he just hasn't seemed to get much in the way of swing this series.

Two fingers to Bazball from Australia so far today, the script for old codgers like me is them cashing on tiredness in the England attack at some point later today.

8 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Have England taken a single wicket caught at Leg Slip in this entire series?

It's been a near permanent fixture.

It's obviously a tactic to force Australia to play more on the off-side.

Well you can achieve much the same thing by actually bowling outside off if that's what you are setting out to do.

Don't really see the value of having a catcher in for a bad ball, and especially when there's not been any real indication of the ball going to him anyway.

I can't almost understand it when there is boomerang swing that the bowler genuinely can't control, but until this morning it's been mostly gun barrel straight.

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Well you can achieve much the same thing by actually bowling outside off if that's what you are setting out to do.

Don't really see the value of having a catcher in for a bad ball, and especially when there's not been any real indication of the ball going to him anyway.

I can't almost understand it when there is boomerang swing that the bowler genuinely can't control, but until this morning it's been mostly gun barrel straight.

Presumably the leg slip is there to stop the likes of Smith walking across his stumps and clipping it into the leg side. The problem with this is, in a test such as the last and this one, where Australia don't need to win then it just means you get the very old fashioned boring cricket we've seen today. Bowling outside off just means they can leave it as the ball isn't doing a huge amount. The line and length ball that got Labuschagne is the way to go

3 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Presumably the leg slip is there to stop the likes of Smith walking across his stumps and clipping it into the leg side. The problem with this is, in a test such as the last and this one, where Australia don't need to win then it just means you get the very old fashioned boring cricket we've seen today. Bowling outside off just means they can leave it as the ball isn't doing a huge amount. The line and length ball that got Labuschagne is the way to go

I've always felt that you should be bowling straight at the stumps to Smith. I mean, he is class enough to get away with wandering and playing across the line anyway, but he does sometimes fall over too far, and all you need is one ball to do something and he's automatically in trouble. In that scenario I can totally understand the leg slip, but I don't understand just chucking a guy in there regardless of who is on strike, especially when, like you say, the thing to be doing to the majority of players in these conditions is giving them the typical English away swinger line and length.