The Cricket Thread

bewlay

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Holding was great and Gower moved from excellent commentator to superb host. Atherton is really good in print but he doesn't just have the personality to do it on TV or radio sadly. As much as he isn't liked, I preferred Mark Nicholas on Ch4/Ch5/BT who would usually have Vaughan, Boycott etc alongside him. 

Nasar Hussein is still decent.

The main bore in the Ashes commentary is Ricky Ponting. He is no Shane Warne that is for sure. He has no patter an no amusing anecdotes.

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

This has probably been mentioned regularly, but sky sports’ commentary is brutal. The biggest personality vacuum imaginable, it must be the way they’re instructed to commentate as they can’t all be this dull.  

If it was your first taste of watching cricket it would put you off for life.  Compare it to tms on the radio which is a brilliant listen. Mostly people who bring the game alive.

If I was Stuart Broad and I sat through Atherton’s tortuous tribute piece yesterday I’d have been insulted and told sky to ram it. It was so dull and uninspiring.

I honestly prefer listening to TMS while driving about than watching.

21 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

TMS was good 15-20 years ago when it was just Agnew and CMJ constantly winding up Geoff Boycott, but I can't really listen to it any more because Tuffnell gets right on my tits.

The wind up where they said that the MCC had ll reclassified games against the universities as no longer being first class, meaning Boycott didn't get 100 first class hundreds after all was sensational. Tbf, Tufnell isn't on that often and Jim Maxwell and Glenn McGrath are good value.

Yeah, I don't mind Jim Maxwell. He reminds me a bit of Tony Greig. Greig was almost universally hated and pilloried for 'talking shite', but he was entertaining every time he was talking about something other than the actual tactics of the game itself. His ball by ball commentary was great, and he always had an interesting story to tell about any player/tour/venue that came up.

9 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The wind up where they said that the MCC had ll reclassified games against the universities as no longer being first class, meaning Boycott didn't get 100 first class hundreds after all was sensational. Tbf, Tufnell isn't on that often and Jim Maxwell and Glenn McGrath are good value.

I dont actually mind Tuffers, but will happily listen to Jim Maxwell, Ali Mitchell & Jonathan Agnew all day.I also enjoy the utter randomness of Andy Zaltzmans stats.

Still miss the old days of Test Cricket on BBC2 all the way through the school summer holidays, and Ray Illingworth, Tony Lewis, Ritchie Benaud & co. Always seemed to be scorching hot, bleached outfields etc. Used to be fuming when they interrupted the Test to put shitey Wimbledon tennis on. 

Also used to love the grainy pictures of tours in the West Indies with Tony Cozier on comms. My ex-missus refused point blank to believe he was white until I pointed a photo of him out in Wisden when we were in Menzies one day 😆

Of the women Isha Guha is excellent, a soothing voice I could happily listen to all day.. although she comes down to Tuffnells level a bit much being giggly and silly when they’re on together which is annoying.

Alison Mitchell and Ebony RB are both good, but Alex Hartley has not got the voice for it and should be binned immediately. Speaks too quickly in a high pitched voice. 

Mel Jones is well suited to being on sky, as she is also dull as dishwater to listen to.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

TMS is still my medium of choice for cricket coverage.   I’d go so far as to say that Agnew is the best commentator of any sport going. 

Yes he holds the whole thing together.  I usually listen to the ashes on TMS then catch the highlights in the evening.

For some of the last test and this one I’ve had access to sky and sat and watched it and probably haven’t enjoyed it half as much. It’s on in the background while I’m distracted with other stuff and not really paying attention.

Back to TMS in future I think.

31 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Ponting is right to be fizzing aboot the baw. That replacement looks like a 10 over auld baw, not 30'odd

The thing about England (and their fixation with Australia and sandpaper) is that the advantages are just handed to them on a plate. They don’t need to bother with cheating because it’s that institutionalised and has been for as long as cricket’s been played.

Edited by HibsFan

32 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Ponting is right to be fizzing aboot the baw. That replacement looks like a 10 over auld baw, not 30'odd

Was the same yesterday, they replaced a 20 odd over old ball with one that still had all the writing visible on it.

The umps choose the replacement baw, no the fielding side. If there's a problem there, it's because they haven't made sure there's a diverse enough range of replacement balls available in the first place.

I wouldn't say England get handed unfair advantages as a matter of course either, because I've watched far too many sub-continent tours where they've been utterly jobbed by bent umpiring, while the home team carry on like a bunch of clowns and face absolutely no sanction at all. Pakistan got clean away with openly destroying the ball on camera while playing a Test IN England. No sure how that fits the narrative.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Was the same yesterday, they replaced a 20 odd over old ball with one that still had all the writing visible on it.

Happened in the previous Test as well. I posted in here laughing about it at the time.