The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I don’t hate the idea of 100 ball cricket.  I actually quite like it. But the graphics on the BBC make me feel like I’m having a brain aneurysm.  

Edited by Savage Henry

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I don’t hate the idea of t20 cricket.  I actually quite like it. But the graphics on the BBC make me feel like I’m having a brain aneurysm.  

I can't watch the Hundred. It's like watching the Nikleodeon NFL coverage. Keep expecting players to get "slimed" or have oversized heads etc. It's awful.

The Hundred is horrific. ECB failed to cash in and fell behind India with the franchise tournament idea. Now they’re trying this shite as a point of difference. It can’t attract any sort of decent overseas players, the majority choosing Major League Cricket instead.

46 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

The Hundred is horrific. ECB failed to cash in and fell behind India with the franchise tournament idea. Now they’re trying this shite as a point of difference. It can’t attract any sort of decent overseas players, the majority choosing Major League Cricket instead.

Yeah, the "franchise" model doesn't excite me in the slightest either. English County cricket feels far away enough as it is. I've always had an interest in Yorkshire cricket and would probably describe myself as a Yorkshire "fan" if pushed, but I can't drum up any enthusiasm for a "North" franchise, or a "Leeds" franchise etc.

One of the reasons I gradually lost interest in NFL Europe. The move from Edinburgh to Glasgow was the biggest killer, but aside from that the fact there was practically no year-to-year player retention was another factor in my dwindling interest. It's difficult to grow any affinity for something when it changes constantly, and the things that endear you to it can be there one minute and gone the next. I also feel the same way about Women's cricket as I do about Women's football. Nothing against it, but I find watching it frustrating and boring in equal measure, so I'd rather turn the TV off and do something else than sit through it. Force teaming it with the men's game isn't going to make it appeal to me or make it any more likely I'll watch it.

15 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yeah, the "franchise" model doesn't excite me in the slightest either. English County cricket feels far away enough as it is. I've always had an interest in Yorkshire cricket and would probably describe myself as a Yorkshire "fan" if pushed, but I can't drum up any enthusiasm for a "North" franchise, or a "Leeds" franchise etc.

The T20 Blast is a more then decent tournament, but the ECB never bothered to properly promote it. If they stuck with that, even changed it into 2 divisions so they can create a "Premier League" and properly promoted it, it would probably have done far better than the Hundred shite. Also, this rubbish tournament got the one day tournament relegated to some kind of B-team tournament. There is now no proper one day tournament in which the top players take part.

I support Derbyshire in county cricket, because I lived in Derby for a while and have been a member for a few years. No Derbyshire fans are going across to Trent Bridge in Nottingham to watch the Trent Rockets...

I don't mind T20. As a bit of a traditionalist it took me a few years to get over the degree of slogging and paucity of bowlers who can bowl a legit yorker, but I'll happily watch it if it's on and Finals Day is usually a good watch. The death of the One Day sunday cup is a sad loss. Growing up, aside from watching the Tests on BBC2 the OD Final at Lords was one of the highlights of the summer because it was far closer to the type of cricket I grew up playing so more relateable than Test cricket.

Don’t mind a country having a franchise tournament to be honest. Most full members have one and I think they’re a decent way of making money for the country to ensure that cricket can continue in a profitable manner.

There are several issues with the English franchise competition though.

Starting with the fact it’s 100 balls to try and be ‘different’ because they failed to capitalise on T20 and lagged behind the Indian Premier League. The next issue is that the English season already consists of far too much cricket. England are no different to other countries in having 3 domestic tournaments for each format, but they also have arguably the most packed home international schedule each year along with the shortest ‘season’ due to weather. Australia can push their Sheffield Shield almost as early as they like, same with India and their Ranji Trophy, but with England this is impractical and plonking this hundred ball monstrosity in the middle of the summer when they should be playing Test matches, and relegating the List A competition to secondary status really isn’t acceptable and only causes fixture congestion and discontent. 

The Hundred also doesn’t offer any sort of decent salary as it has no backing. The Big Bash had an issue with low salaries being unable to attract players away from the ILT20 in the UAE, and similar has happened with the Hundred, losing out on players to the T20 leagues in USA and Canada 🤣 So we’re looking at a gimmicky ‘franchise’ tournament bang in the middle of the summer that is effectively a form of cricket nobody else plays with a bunch of second rate T20 players. This has resulted in the ECB going around begging IPL and NFL owners to invest. Pretty embarrassing if you ask me.

England going unchanged for Edgbaston. Potts and Pennington not getting a go this series. Retiring Jimmy to ‘for the future’ while playing Woakes 3x and Wood twice seems interesting.

8 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

England going unchanged for Edgbaston. Potts and Pennington not getting a go this series. Retiring Jimmy to ‘for the future’ while playing Woakes 3x and Wood twice seems interesting.

Agreed, although Wood was venomously quick in the last test and I can see a case for playing him every time he’s fit.   I can only assume neither Potts nor Pennington can hold a bat, and England don’t want to go with two or even three genuinely number 11s.  You’re getting into Alan Mulally at number 9 territory.  

Edited by Savage Henry

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Agreed, although Wood was venomously quick in the last test and I can see a case for playing him every time he’s fit.   I can only assume neither Potts nor Pennington can hold a bat, and England don’t want to go with two or even three genuinely number 11s.  You’re getting into Alan Mulally at number 9 territory.  

Potts scored a ton in the championship at the start of the season, the lad can hold a bat. 

16 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Potts scored a ton in the championship at the start of the season, the lad can hold a bat. 

Well then your guess is as good as mine.  I like Woakes,  but have no idea why he’s ahead of these guys.

5 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Things not going too well for Ireland in the Stormont Test. They have put Zimbabwe in to bat who are now nearing 100 without loss just after lunch.

Ended up a decent day for Ireland as Zimbabwe lost all 10 wickets for just 113 runs, collapsing from 97-0 to 210 all out.