The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Good draw for the Windies in Adelaide, they had Aus 5 down after team but couldn't get into the tail. Gayle scored 165*, becoming only the third West Indian to carry his bat.

While I'm on the subject of Mr Gayle, I noticed on the BBC report his twitter page. If anyone's played Grand Theft Auto 4, it's like trying to understand Little Jacob. RASTA!

Two bat carriers in a week, Farhat for Pakistan this time but they were bowled out for 200 and not all that much by NZ.

There's some good cricket going on at the moment, and I'm really looking forward to the England series. Be interesting to see what the team is, are we going to leave Prior at six and go with five bowlers? Seems very risky in such a tough series but I'd love to see them do it. Trott seems to be the man in form and will presumably play at three; Pietersen has had a terrible year but I reckon he's got a couple of big scores coming up. South Africa for their part have an awesome batting line-up; the bowling is a bit more dependent on one or two individuals and I'm not sure they've got such good back-up if Steyn, in particular, doesn't fire. But if he does we're really up against it these next few weeks.

And this is excellent news, both for the series itself and the future of cricket - India propose cutting back on one-dayers to give South Africa a couple of Tests.

http://www.cricinfo.com/southafrica/conten...ory/438958.html

My predictions..India 768 -1 dec. SA 677 -all out. India 549-2 dec SA 2-0 match Drawn.

England- having lost the 1st test of a tour something like 6 out of the last 7 times- look set to go with an extra batsman tomorrow, and Broad at 8. The team will be (not sure on exact batting order)

Strauss

Cook

Trott

Pietersen

Collingwood

Bell

Prior

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Onions

SA also look set to go with 4 bowlers (Morkel, Steyn, Ntini, and Harris) so the teams shoudl match up quite well.

Also, India have set SL 415 to win the latest ODI and SL are giving it more than a go, 273/1 after 32 overs. Who'd be a bowler these days?

England- having lost the 1st test of a tour something like 6 out of the last 7 times- look set to go with an extra batsman tomorrow, and Broad at 8. The team will be (not sure on exact batting order)

Strauss

Cook

Trott

Pietersen

Collingwood

Bell

Prior

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Onions

SA also look set to go with 4 bowlers (Morkel, Steyn, Ntini, and Harris) so the teams shoudl match up quite well.

Also, India have set SL 415 to win the latest ODI and SL are giving it more than a go, 273/1 after 32 overs. Who'd be a bowler these days?

Ridiculous games in India these days, would be interesting to see the averages of Indias test team with split Home averages and aways, sure that would be eye opening

SL lost by 3 runs in the end after they subsided from 316/1 to 411/8- needed 11 off the last over. Dilshan is on the losing side despite hitting 160.

Seems certain now that Trott will bat at the poisoned chalice position (3) for the SA Exiles XI tomorrow. Unfortunately I'll miss it all as it clashes with work but looking forward to the highlights in the evening.

Only 4 Tests this series, prediction is 2-1 to SA.

Looks like a seamer's pitch today, apparently, to go in with only three seamers (and one of them not fully fit) would be a hopelessly supine way to start the series. We'd deserve to lose. But they won't want to leave Swann out. So Wright has to play rather than Bell; dunno whether he's going to make a proper Test all-rounder, but he's done well enough to deserve his chance and it suits the balance of the side better.

Another superb use of the review system. Didn't cost them anything in terms of De Villiers getting runs, but they've tossed away both their referrals now.

Why are they using the predictive part of hawkeye but not snicko or hot spot? None of them are flawless but you can't use technology and then not use all of it.

Edited by Fuctifano

Another superb use of the review system. Didn't cost them anything in terms of De Villiers getting runs, but they've tossed away both their referrals now.

Why are they using the predictive part of hawkeye but not snicko or hot spot? None of them are flawless but you can't use technology and then not use all of it.

Im not sure if i heard this right,but i do not think they have a hot spot camera there.Cost issues. I think i heard them say there are only 4 in use.As you say,use ALL the available technology,or none.

England look a bit weak in the bowling dept as Yoss mentioned, interesting to see Swann being kept on after tea. Evenly poised at the moment but England will probably be disappointed after having got rid of Smith early on.

The balance has started to shift slightly to South Africa. England are going to have to get them at least six down, or it will have been a disappointing day. Whilst England are a bowler light, there is no obvious solution now in the post-Flintoff era. Luke Wright or Ryan Sidebottom could have played instead of Ian Bell, but this would have weakened the batting quite severely. Leaving out the in-form Sidebottom was quite a conservative measure by England, but would we really want to see Broad batting at seven?

Yeah, they wanted to have hot spot, but as said there are only four such cameras and they're in Aus and NZ at the momemtn. The ICC and the boadcasters have yet to really agree who's going to fund all this stuff. The referral system has worked pretty well today nonetheless.

Now Onions has a thigh strain apparently, Anderson is having to bowl longer spells than you'd like, Swann did okay but had to go defencsive early on when Kallis took it to him knowing he couldn't afford to get hit out the attack. And now Trott is bowling his tame little medium pacers as England fill in time to the new ball.

Of course Strauss and Flower know far more about any of this than me, but it's so painfully obvious that we're a bowler short, and it's not something that was difficult to foresee. It's a really disappointing selection.