The Cricket Thread

bewlay

On paper South Africa look a strong side. Any side with Kallis and Smith in the batting line-up should be able to win a few test matches. I'm convinced Dale Steyn will come good at some point during this series and if Ntini gets dropped in favour of de Weit then their bowling is pretty decent. I'm not convinced by Harris; he's clearly not in the same league as Swann.

England's narrow victory in the Ashes shows that this side has some bottle and that may make all the difference in this series. One thing's for sure: England will be unchanged for the next test match.

Personally, i wouldnt say SA are as strong as they have been say 6 or 7 years ago. In the bowling department they have struggled to replace Pollock and Donald (albeit a very tough act to replace!), and while Steyn and Morkel could be able replacements it is still too early to tell at this stage. Ntini has been finished at test level since he lost that yard of pace a year or so ago and i reckon De Wet will get another shot in the 3rd test. Harris is no more than a containing bowler although had a decent run against the aussies recently. Like England, SA have really struggled in the last 10 years to find a decent wrist spinner to compete with Warney was in his prime form. Swann really has been a terrific find for england, he could easily establish himself as the worlds number 1 finger spinner if he keeps this form up, his lower order hitting is a massive plus also.

Batting wise, Smith and Kallis are class acts, as is AB De Villiers. They are probably in a similar position to England a few years ago in trying to plug the gaps in the batting order. Ashwell Prince is never an opener in a million years and is a mediocre middle order player at best. Duminy is still only starting out but has shown promise with a match winning knock against the aussies in Perth.

Interesting few years of test cricket ahead id say.

Edited by Palmerston_1919

Was expecting to wake up and catch the last few wickets. Woke up and found its all over :lol:

Great victory. Swanns bowling this series has been superb.

England were outstanding this test. That's a terrific win, and every time I want to write Broad off as being a useless posh twit, he puts in a real shift. Swann might just be England's best bowler. Well played England.

Well that was an absolute thrashing - the last two Tests show how far England have come since the start of the year when they lost to a much weaker West Indies team in the Caribbean. They've certainly taken their chances in the series' since then. Graeme Swann's golden arm has taken him to No. 3 in the World Rankings. Credit to Bell who delivered a great Innings (at last), the question is can he repeat this performance?

As for SA - they've got a lot to prove (and improve on) if they're going to come back in this series.

Not even in hindsight but SA dropping Prior in the last over of Day 3 was a Massive Play!

Edited by btb

England were outstanding this test. That's a terrific win, and every time I want to write Broad off as being a useless posh twit, he puts in a real shift. Swann might just be England's best bowler. Well played England.

Broad seems to have a wee bit of dig about him. Every time he gets a slating he responds quite well. He isnt the best bowler around but he seems to be improving nicely. I reckon he needs to be the line and length boy in the England attack. Stick it on off stump and piss off the batsmen. I actually think I might be getting won round with young Broad. I like the fact he reacts well to adversity.

England were very good right through that test. Great to see Cook getting a score too. I think he is quality. And will become one of the top openers in the world. Swann seems to made a pact with the devil or something. Wicket machine!

Time saving, but not so absorbing. You can get some good games but ultimately no one really care about them that much and I've already forgotten them by the following day. The Tests is where it's at.

Third Test tomorrow then. Presumably same team, as long as Collingwood's finger is passed fit. South Africa will surely replace Ntini this time, and I'm expecting them to come back strong.

The Tests is where it's at.

Outwith Australia and England some of the test crowds are shocking...the stadiums are barely a third full. Fans seem to be voting with their feet whether you like it or not.

Outwith Australia and England some of the test crowds are shocking...the stadiums are barely a third full. Fans seem to be voting with their feet whether you like it or not.

This is true. Test cricket needs a shot in the arm. Jazz it up a bit, names on the back of the shirts, token gestures, that kind of thing.

Fundamentally, I love test cricket and have far less time for twenty20 or, even less, one day cricket, but quite clearly twenty20 is the future of the sport.

Collingwood will be fit, it's all smoke and mirrors by England so that SA change the shape of their team.

This is true. Test cricket needs a shot in the arm. Jazz it up a bit, names on the back of the shirts, token gestures, that kind of thing.

Fundamentally, I love test cricket and have far less time for twenty20 or, even less, one day cricket, but quite clearly twenty20 is the future of the sport.

Collingwood will be fit, it's all smoke and mirrors by England so that SA change the shape of their team.

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/442030.html

Will Ntini be dropped? More a question of politics than cricket. If it was purely a cricket issue de Wet would be in the team.

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/442030.html

Will Ntini be dropped? More a question of politics than cricket. If it was purely a cricket issue de Wet would be in the team.

It surely must be a done deal that de Wet will replace Ntini after the latter's poor form. Unlike the lead up to the second test, neither Arthur nor Smith have offered their unqualified support for Ntini. Mickey Arthur has already said that they will have to pick a side to take 20 wickets, and they will make at least one change. I fully expect South Africa to be a very tough proposition at Newlands.

Slightly delayed start for rain in Cape Town but we've just had the toss and we're ready to go.

Both teams as expected, England uncanged while SA bring de Wet back in for Ntini. Damp and cloudy today, expected to be clearer for the rest of the match. England have won the toss and will bowl. (Smith says he'd have bowled first too.)