The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Aus bowled out for 127 by Pakistan on the first day of their second Test.

Batted first on a green pitch - brave decision with one makehift opener in Watson and the other, Hughes, on a comeback. Interesting article in cricinfo which shows that Ponting has batted first the last 23 times he has won the toss - since Edgbaston in 2005! :ph34r:

Was it just me or were SA a bit more cagey against Swann at the start of his spell?

SA skittled out in a few overs this morning. England lose Strauss in the first couple of their innings too. The pitch looks to have picked up a bit of pace and the bounce is still there. Could get interesting if the SA bowlers can get into their stride here.

Pressure on Prior, Broad & Swann to keep England in the game. 16 wickets already, only the weather will prevent one side winning here.

England 229/7 - New ball available with 6 overs left (weather permitting) today.

Stumps Day 2 - England 241/7 (82.0 ov)

Can SA run through Enland's tail in a reverse of what happened this morning or will England close in on and maybe pass SA's total - who knows? Certainly not me! :)

Edited by btb

Pressure on Prior, Broad & Swann to keep England in the game. 16 wickets already, only the weather will prevent one side winning here.

England 229/7 - New ball available with 6 overs left (weather permitting) today.

Stumps Day 2 - England 241/7 (82.0 ov)

Can SA run through Enland's tail in a reverse of what happened this morning or will England close in on and maybe pass SA's total - who knows? Certainly not me! :)

This could be a terrific test. Or then again, South Africa could steamroller England and win by 150 runs. Or it could rain. Possibly.

Very much SA's advantage, we've had slightly the better batting conditions in the first innings and not made use of it, and will have to bat last on a low-scoring pitch. Even if we can scrape up to the same total we'd still be second favourites. I'd really want a first innings lead and that's not looking likely.

Still all to play for but I've not got a good feeling about this one at all.

Very much SA's advantage, we've had slightly the better batting conditions in the first innings and not made use of it, and will have to bat last on a low-scoring pitch. Even if we can scrape up to the same total we'd still be second favourites. I'd really want a first innings lead and that's not looking likely.

Still all to play for but I've not got a good feeling about this one at all.

I'm also feeling rather pessimistic, though I have a sneeking suspicion that Graeme Swann may yet have a significant role to play in this match.

The South Africans are way too conservative and will bat for longer than needed thus meaning Jimmy Anderson will not be required to bat again.