The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Another howler by Dar there, good job DRS was in play.

I'm not sure I'd class that as a howler, it's the sort of decision that DRS is there for- would probably have been difficult to hear such a thin nick with the amount of noise in the ground- all the technology showed it was pretty clear though.

Also, England did get lucky with the timing of the break- if they'd played on for another half hour (I know they played half an hour extra anyway) I'm almost certain they would have lost as Anderson was the only one that looked like getting a wicket. Wonder if the Aussies regret not trying to push on and finish it before 1.30pm?

Anderson admitted he heard nothing and only went up in support of Prior. How is Dar, at least 15 feet further away, meant to hear it?

Fair enough then, the noise just sounded so prominent on the review.

The fact Jimmy never appealed with conviction probably helped Haddin in the initial decision too.

Finn must be dropped. His confidence is shot. Can you imagine how much more control would have been exerted by the likes of Bresnan or Onions? I'd expect Bresnan to come in for the next test, although Lords would suit Finn if only he could bowl a decent line and length.

He'll get the hook. He can be very very good, just leaks too many runs to keep the pressure on. I'd rather Onions came in for Bresnan, though Tremlett's obviously better than both.

Did anyone hear Boycott's comments regarding Finn?

"if he was in my team...I wouldn't take him for dinner!" & "I thought in was Jonothan Agnew bowling!"

Not a fan then Geffory?! :lol:

Bairstow's place must be coming under threat now along with Finn's surely. I've always been an advocate for finding a way of playing two spinners. Prior at six would be an option.

Perhaps two spinners in India but not here....more often than not its overcast here which is taylor made for seamers....and the like of Root & Peterson can block up an end with slower balls if neefs be.

Finn should be persevered with, he is young for a fast bowler and he is one of those guys that needs nurtured, England cant afford to f**k up his career. He has 98 test wickets and a better average and strike rate than Jimmy Anderson believe it or not. He needs to be well captained in tests like he has just done, and that spell when he was being howked around wont help matters, but Lords will be a bit quicker and he might get a bit of extra bounce.

A brilliant test match all the same. It is just a sport like no other for building up sustained tension. Five days and something was going on constantly, the game went right to the wire, the only bit that didn't was the time factor, but it was a superb start to the series. I expect England to win fairly well in England now, but that match was in the balance, mainly thanks to the normal first match first innings batting debacle from England. f**k knows what happens to them in the first innings of test series but it happens often enough now to be a bit of a concern surely.

Perhaps two spinners in India but not here....more often than not its overcast here which is taylor made for seamers....and the like of Root & Peterson can block up an end with slower balls if neefs be.

Swann is always shit at Trent Bridge, he will be decent the rest of the series. As you say, the other guys can turn their arm over for a few overs no problem, the main worry is Finns form especially with only a few days to work on him and more importantly , his confidence.

Why bother with part time spinners if you can find a way of getting, say Panesar in the side. Prior is a superior batsmen to Bairstow anyway and your still getting three front line seamers in the side.

Why bother with part time spinners if you can find a way of getting, say Panesar in the side. Prior is a superior batsmen to Bairstow anyway and your still getting three front line seamers in the side.

Panesar can't bat for a start.

They bowl 20 overs an hour....you need to rotate the attack to keep them fresh...theres even talk of 4 seamers not being enough never mind 3!

Panesar can't bat for a start.

He wouldn't be there for his batting.

They bowl 20 overs an hour....you need to rotate the attack to keep them fresh...theres even talk of 4 seamers not being enough never mind 3!

Who bowls 20 overs an hour? Or even close??