The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I'd also say the SKY coverage is pretty much the best sports broadcast on TV in the UK.

I've never really liked watching live cricket on TV. It's too slow to hold my attention.

I'll watch the highlights and the verdict but i could and do listen to a full days play on TMS while working, it seems like the ideal game for radio for me.

And Geoffrey Boycott must be my favourite ever sports pundit. I wish some of the football pundits had the cajones to tell it like he does.

I've never really liked watching live cricket on TV. It's too slow to hold my attention.

I'll watch the highlights and the verdict but i could and do listen to a full days play on TMS while working, it seems like the ideal game for radio for me.

And Geoffrey Boycott must be my favourite ever sports pundit. I wish some of the football pundits had the cajones to tell it like he does.

On the money Lex. TMS on the wireless when you're working, driving or doing shite about the house is the apotheosis of sports broadcasting.

I was out all day so didn't see anything of the first day. Were England that bad?

yes, Cook apart England's batting was rank rotten and with a can't-be-arsed-will-this-do-listlessness about it.

Only one team out there was motivated today, and it wasn't England. A rot has set in and it must be reversed, quickly.

On the money Lex. TMS on the wireless when you're working, driving or doing shite about the house is the apotheosis of sports broadcasting.

Winter tour matches where the time difference has the game played during a night shift are my favourites.I'm going off topic but 5live do some great tennis coverage as well.

Aye hell mend us for having a conversation, woolshed :lol:

Did you watch or listen today? What was your take on the first day?

Haha yeah only kidding, don't worry.

I saw most of the days play yeah. There was a lot of cheap English Wickets given away. I liked the look of Jackson Bird. His ball to get rid of Cook was an absolute beauty.

I feel though if he can get the ball nipping back like that, Anderson could have a field day. Probably seems about par.

Not a good start for Aus. Warner and Khawaja(he's shite) gone and sitting at 12-2.

Can see a period of pressure from England now too lunch. Clarke needs to bed in with Rogers supporting.

Good length from Broad but poor selections of shot.

Edited by wellboy1991

That's quite a decision there. Gives him out for caught behind, but it doesn't hit the bat. It hits his pad though, and it was going on to just hit the stumps - umpires call - so it would be LBW.

But he never gave him out LBW, he gave him out caught behind. So it's reviewed by Australia and its not out because it wasn't out for the reason the umpire gave it!

Jeez :lol:

I preferred it without the technology tbh.

Australias top order doing their usual collapse. 34-2. Need Clarke to come to the rescue again.

Edited by Lex

That's quite a decision there. Gives him out for caught behind, but it doesn't hit the bat. It hits his pad though, and it was going on to just hit the stumps - umpires call - so it would be LBW.

But he never gave him out LBW, he gave him out caught behind. So it's reviewed by Australia and its not out because it wasn't out for the reason the umpire gave it!

Jeez :lol:

I preferred it without the technology tbh.

Australias top order doing their usual collapse. 34-2. Need Clarke to come to the rescue again.

The drama was immense! I don't know whether or not DRS is good for the game but there's no denying it adds another element of excitement. The England players celebrating and then raging was quite funny.

Strauss made a good point about all the talk being about DRS rather than the actual cricket.

So it's reviewed by Australia and its not out because it wasn't out for the reason the umpire gave it!

Thing is, that shouldn't matter, as the appeal is simply 'was he out?'. The rules of cricket, as they stand, don't seem to accomodate the use of DRS.

Law 27.2(a) A batsman is dismissed if he is given out by an umpire, on appeal.

DRS is supposed to improve the accuracy of decisions. But the rules of the game haven't been adapted to use the system properly.

Everyone had to stand and watch as Rogers was shown to be out LBW - only the umpire 'couldn't' give it because he originally gave him out for another reason. Utterly farcical.

Everyone had to stand and watch as Rogers was shown to be out LBW - only the umpire 'couldn't' give it because he originally gave him out for another reason. Utterly farcical.

The umpire's call is there because the DRS system is not 100% accurate. There is a margin of error attached to the projected flight of the ball, and while the machine showed that the ball was going on to clip the stumps, there was not sufficient evidence for them to be absolutely sure of the decision.