The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Bailey does not look a test match player.

One good thing to come from this debacle for England is them seem to have found a good un in Stokes.

Could make a big difference if he proves to be a genuine Test all rounder.

Haddin comes to the rescue again, a lot of people think Johnson is a shoe in for man of the series, but Haddin must also have a shout. Several times he's come in with Australia's first innings in tatters and produced a great innings to turn it back their way.

Monty is finished under Cook and Flower imo.

The writing was on the wall last Test when even Root was bowled before him. Shame when you consider how well he bowled in tandem with Swann in India.

I always thought that Monty was just a level below Test cricket.

I was surprised he was even taken to Australia.

I think it suits England that he is injured and they can try something different in Borthwick.

England's selections for this series have been stunningly inept. Compton had a couple of poor games and has been unceremoniously binned completely. They could have done with having another experienced opener there and he averages over 30. If he'd managed that consistently on this tour he would be among England's top scorers! Why even bother taking Finn? He seems to have got worse since being involved with the England coaches, but he would have been a much better bet with ball in hand than Bresnan pootling in at 80mph and not scaring anyone.

Throwing Borthwick in was either brave or stupid. He managed to take a wicket but went for 7 an over, the boy might make a good player but IMO it was wrong to throw him in for this match when the Aussies have treated spin with disdain right through the series, and none of the pitches have offered much turn. His confidence might take a battering from which it never recovers.

Good performance by Stokes taking 6 wickets, probably the one real plus England can take from this series. If he can learn to tighten things up a bit to slow down the scoring then he can be a big weapon for England in the future.

Rankin has had a scan which showed nothing, England are saying that he was suffering from cramp and should be ok to bowl in the second innings. Good read on cricinfo though that he has suffered from "psychosomatic" injuries in the past.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/story/706673.html

The Aussies will be batting again by tea. England are fucking diabolical and mentally shot. This is as inept a series as I've ever seen from them.

Hopefully MJ rips through the rest of these pant shitting wankers with the minimum of fuss.

Maybe Ballance will bring equilibrium to the England line up.

All out for 150 I reckon sadly. I haven't watched shite like from England this since the mid nineties.

Maybe Ballance will bring equilibrium to the England line up.

All out for 150 I reckon sadly. I haven't watched shite like from England this since the mid nineties.

I stuck the remnants of my skybet account on Pietersen to top score in Englands first innings. He might manage it with 20.

This is maybe poorer than the mid-90s. At least back then Australia had a fantastic side. With a couple of exceptions this series, Australia have mentally and physically annihilated England with a fairly average side.

ETA: f**k.

Edited by jupe1407

I stuck the remnants of my skybet account on Pietersen to top score in Englands first innings. He might manage it with 20.

This is maybe poorer than the mid-90s. At least back then Australia had a fantastic side. With a couple of exceptions this series, Australia have mentally and physically annihilated England with a fairly average side.

Yes that is a fair point as back then you expected a complete pumping and like you say this Oz team is average. 100 all out beckons. Hope Ballance and Stokes can make a few though.