The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Why? If your Scottish would you not be supporting Scotland?

England are my cricket team. Always supported them due to being closest test side, and I've gone to see Scotland play a couple of ODIs but when I support England most of the time it seems strange to switch that off for a one off match against Scotland. Equally though I am Scottish and therefore like Scotland to win whatever they play. Also although I can't see England winning the World Cup, I would still like them to and hold a bit of hope. I guess it was a win/win. Either my country would have caused a huge upset or the cricket team I support would win.

England win by 119 runs.

Edited by jmothecat

Decent day out although sadly the game was up after an hour, if we were going to win then we needed England 50-3 or worse. Fought back well with the ball but you could see our guys didn't have a clue how to play Finn.

Not seen the highlights back but looked from the ground as if Ali was dropped low down at cover 2nd over or so on not many, guessing it didn't carry as I haven't heard much chat about him having a life then getting a ton.

Streaker was the fastest I've ever seen, got all the way to the square, dropped a shoulder, belted past the hi vis guys, hopped the hoardings and then out the ground via a hospitality tent. Could have done with him bowling for us at that pace.

Dunedin on Thurs for Afghanistan, think we'll either win by miles or lose by more.

Having England as your cricket team is like having Brazil as your football team. Imagine going to the pub and seeing someone in a Brazil shirt cheering them on against Scotland because they play at a higher level. That's you.

Why? Scotland don't even play the main form of cricket and the one I'm most interested in. Supporting England is nothing like supporting Brazil believe me, it's miserable the vast majority of the time. I live in England, travelled down to watch England when I was growing up and was named after an England (and Yorkshire of course) player. When I was born I don't think Scotland even had an ODI team. To suddenly change who I support for the sake of one game would be strange, when I'm going back to wanting England to win the whole thing today anyway. I get the impression most Scottish cricket fans support England generally, though I'm not sure who they would have wanted to win last night.

Not seen the highlights back but looked from the ground as if Ali was dropped low down at cover 2nd over or so on not many, guessing it didn't carry as I haven't heard much chat about him having a life then getting a ton.

Fell just short of the fielder unfortunately, could have made a huge difference had he gone so early.

Interesting poll on Sky during the game, 58% of voters (25,000 voted IIRC) reckoned England would finish 5th or worse in the group, I know they are shit but I don't think even they will manage to lose to Afghanistan & either Sri Lanka or Bangladesh.

Another patchy batting display from Scotland, which is what we've come to expect against the elite. Lost count of the number of times I've seen Scotland toil to scratch out a respectable total on the big stage. Man for man, Ireland are not markedly better than Scotland, but they know how to rise to the occasion. I've seen Scotland chase down 300+ against Ireland and other associates in the fairly recent past, and we beat Ireland handily in a warm up game for this WC, but as soon as it matters you can bet that Ireland will take it up a level, whereas Scotland will look like a side that doesn't believe it can win. Why can Ireland put together a collective performance that exceeds the sum of the parts time and time again, taking at least one major scalp in practically every tournament, but Scotland, with a bigger playing pool to choose from and at least as many county players, can't get close to emulating them? One for the sports psychologists I guess, but Scotland's chances of turning it on on the big stage are receding as the authorities look to justify their institutional elitism and exclude the minnows from future tournaments. Ireland can make a convincing case for inclusion in future, but, sadly, Scotland cannot.

I keep on hearing that Scotland bat 'all the way down', but the reality is McLeod at opener is no better than Davey at no. 8. It's not an embarrassment of riches, more a paucity of genuine talent. Lots of middling players with ODI averages in the 20s, Coetzer and possibly Machan aside, few batsmen with any real quality. Mommsen is a decent player, but takes too long to get going - if he gets out for more than 20 but less than 50 he's usually taken too many overs out of the game to get there. He's capable of making up the scoring rate later on, but doesn't usually stick around for long enough to do so. Didn't understand the decision to bring Coleman in at number 3 for the England game, he's got decent technique but he's still a callow youth with a first class average of 18 and an ODI average of under 12. Simply don't understand why Leask isn't playing, his belligerent 16 ball 42 against England last time out showed how effective he can be in the lower middle order. At least he can clear the boundary fence, and in the modern game that is infinitely more valuable than someone who scratches around for an hour for a dozen or so.

The bowling in the first half of yesterday's match was rubbish. I know we've sacrificed a fifth bowler to lengthen the batting line up, but that was dreadful stuff from the so called front line bowlers too.

Scotland still have a chance of two wins here - Bangladesh and Afghanistan are both beatable, providing Scotland play well. Let's hope we see them rise to the occasion against those two and justify their place in the tournament.

Edited by Frankie S