The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Bell always performs in bursts. He'll go a five tests without hitting double figures then end it with 3 hundreds in a row. His first class average goes to show how good a player he is, and the calls to get rid of him, when he is easily the classiest player in the team were a bit silly.

He's a luxury player, obviously not as flamboyant as Pietersen, more reminiscent of Gower. I fully expect him to get into triple figures here*

*jinxed it.

So Australia have 2 days to chase 412. Not completely out of the question but England massive favourites.

Chap, I like the cricket thread but have little feel for cricket.

I know all the options...but how realistic is it for England to bowl Australia out for less than 412?

So Australia have 2 days to chase 412. Not completely out of the question but England massive favourites.

If Australia win it would be the 3rd successful chase in Test history.

I suspect England will pick up wickets regularly tomorrow.

Did England declare at the end there or was their two quick wickets? Woods was batting one minute and they were 8 out, when I looked back a little bit later they had posted a final score.

Chap, I like the cricket thread but have little feel for cricket.

I know all the options...but how realistic is it for England to bowl Australia out for less than 412?

Slim, as mentioned it would be the 3rd highest chase in test history. The pitch is also doing a bit so batting isn't the easiest. I reckon it will be over just after tea tomorrow.

They got bowled out. Reckless overall and while history is in their favour they have given Australia a sniff here.

I think it was a good tactic. Got runs on the board quickly, giving them plenty of time to bowl Australia out, crucial considering the weather forecast for Sunday.

If England bowl anything like they did this morning then Australia will be lucky to make it to tea tomorrow.

The prospect of any run chase on that pitch is bad enough, but a 400+ one would take something spectacular by Australia. Makes Cook's decision to bat first look a good one.

z6YZo8R.png?1

This is where I am coming from. They can bat time and still accumulate enough runs by waiting for loose deliveries. There would be enough over two full days for Atherton to get that many. And Cardiff has proved a few times you can stick in if you are not pushing the boat out over previous ashes matches.

Aus dont have that kind of lineup though so either it's an 80s west indies type rape for one or two or England chip away at a win tomorrow evening.

Anyway. When did McGrath think anything other than an Aus win in every single match ever.

Chances are...the usual. There will be a tough partnership to break at some point but runs on the board will prevail. And that will make it a better series in the long run than any other result.

Is this a change of thinking from Cook?

He has a reputation for keeping his team batting longer than necessary to get a safe amount of runs.

Something seems up with up him. Almost chocked on my lunch the other day when I saw him striding down the pitch to the spinner.

He has a reputation for keeping his team batting longer than necessary to get a safe amount of runs.

Yep. Much more positive. My biggest worry was that we would see England still batting at lunch tomorrow with the whole world begging Cook to declare but him putting it off. England now have runs on the board, and whilst they may have lost a couple of silly wickets they are in a fantastic position. Very positive, looking to win the test rather than the usual Cook tactic of trying not to lose it.

Different coach might be trying to instil a different mind set in him? Imo they batted today with the weather forecast for Sunday in mind, knowing that tomorrow will probably be the last full day's play.