The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Need at least 2 changes to the batting line up for the next test.

The fact it's at Edgbaston might save Bell's place for one more test. Can't continue with Lyth and Ballance in the top 3 though. Problem is who do you pick?

Bairstow should play, and you really have to go with Hales. He might fail, but I'd have more confidence in him than Lyth who looks awful.

Ballance isn't a no.3 batsman. Doesn't bat there for Yorks so why are England making him do so.

Another thing that needs to improve is their bowling target. The inability to make the Aussies work is almost as bad and the batting

Ballance isn't a no.3 batsman. Doesn't bat there for Yorks so why are England making him do so.

Another thing that needs to improve is their bowling target. The inability to make the Aussies work is almost as bad and the batting

Agreed. The last test was just shameful all round.

Need to win the toss really next Test.

Agreed. The last test was just shameful all round.

Need to win the toss really next Test.

I don't really expect England to win the Ashes - they are a team in transition with too many question marks. I'd like to think by the end of the series they'll have the correct guy opening with Cook if nothing else. That'll be a major thing. The middle order will settle itself over time, but an opener is essential.

Agreed and I think I said something similar after the New Zealand series but the bowling was worse than the batting. Can't remember who mentioned it or where I seen it but less than 10% of the balls faced by Australia would have hit the stumps if there was no batsman there. That's criminal!

Agreed and I think I said something similar after the New Zealand series but the bowling was worse than the batting. Can't remember who mentioned it or where I seen it but less than 10% of the balls faced by Australia would have hit the stumps if there was no batsman there. That's criminal!

"The group" didn't "execute their plans" well enough.

Quite looking forward to watching the verdict on Sky, Bob Willis will be in full on "get them all to f**k" mode.

WC Qualifiers update- Ireland got similar luck to Scotland in that all the results went their way and they qualified automatically.

Scotland will play the winner of Afghanistan vs Hong Kong- which I would put a reasonabe sum on being Afghanistan- next Saturday.

Ireland play winner of Netherlands vs Namibia in the other semi final.

and I would have lost that reasonable sum of money, as HK take 16 off the last 5 balls to pip Afghanistan and qualify, HK vs Scotland in Dublin on Saturday.

Yeah i think Bell could be finished if he doesn't find some form at 3.

Ballance had to go I'm afraid, obvious technical flaws that need worked on. Thought he was going start taking guard behind the stumps soon. If they lose the next one they might considering throwing Hales in for Lyth.

I think we can see where this is going - Bell and Root will be swapped over by the end of the series, if Bell isn't jettisoned altogether.

I'd imagine James Taylor or Eion Morgan would be next in line.

I think the lack of options stopped England making any other changes, to be frank. If there was a sure-fire thing (i.e Root 2) a year or so away, I'm sure they'd have thrown him in a year early. But there isn't, it would seem.

Any chance of Moeen opening? As well putting him there since the guy there will make 30 in both innings combined anyway.

He opens at county level so wouldn't see the harm in it. Can't be any worse than the others. He might hit double figures.