The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I fucking hope so :( why did England have to spank them so bad on this one? Gutted yet delighted.

I know. Mixed emotions for every Australian wicket.

I've seen England and Australia play a few times but somehow never managed to see them play each other. Going to the ODI at Headingley but it's this that I was really looking forward to.

Nevill was doing a good job grinding away with his defensive play. Close to 150 balls he's survived now. Seemed like he and Johnson had the makings of a good partnership on the go, before Johnson jumped the shark. Can't see him and Starc surviving too long tomorrow mind you, although you'd think Anderson's injury would give them a wee bit of confidence that they could make an ok score.

ps. Why is everyone here such partisan England fans? I'm kind of surprised by it, to be quite honest.

ps. Why is everyone here such partisan England fans? I'm kind of surprised by it, to be quite honest.

Not sure that's true. I'm more of an observer than a poster here but I'm pretty sure England have had plenty of pelters over the years.

Not sure that's true. I'm more of an observer than a poster here but I'm pretty sure England have had plenty of pelters over the years.

Same for me, just enjoy watching the Tests. Can equally enjoy England or the Aussies getting hammered!

As for the next Test, even without Anderson if he doesn't make it England's bowling still looks in decent nick. Broad is in great form, and in Finn they have a bowler with genuine scary pace. Just a pity that thanks to their previous "coaching" of him he is a couple of years behind where he should have been.

Would think the Aussies might bring Watson back in, and with Marsh and Voges both failing in this match then they could be under threat. Haddin might also be back but with Nevill batting well today he might do enough to hang on to his place.

I think Scotland having a lack of presence in the international game plays a big part in that. Granted Scotland are doing better now, but we'll never get to test status, so the nearest test nation is England.

Cricket is the only sport where Scotland play England and I'm not really bothered of the outcome. I support the England team so willing them to lose always feels odd.

The England cricket team were sort of likeable plucky hopeless losers when I started watching in the 90s so it was quite easy to take to them.

I can take or leave them now, wanted the kiwis to win when they were playing England earlier in the year but the Australian cricket team are invariably a dislikable bunch.

Cant take doctored pitches round the world with you.

You dont go from near record defeat to near record win in 10 days, you just get the luck and unluck of the toss of jiggered pitches.

That's right.. England were so lucky they win the toss here.

Oh.

And those Australian chaps certainly don't create wickets utterly designed to suit Mitchell Johnston. No siree.

Edited by H_B

Well that escalated quickly. When I went to bed last night England had just lost Root and looked in a bit of bother. Wake up this morning and Australia appear to think they're playing a Twenty20 game! And badly at that.

Edited by Swarley

Oh.

And those Australian chaps certainly don't create wickets utterly designed to suit Mitchell Johnston. No siree.[/quote

Imagine laying pitches which suit your best bowlers. I wonder why India never try this. And pity Dale Steyn, bowling on all those dust bowl tracks.

The toss thing is a nonsense. But generally speaking, the team on top after the first inning comes out on top. Which is fair enough, really.

ETA it also takes more than a week to lay a pitch.

Edited by Savage Henry

Cant take doctored pitches round the world with you.

Same problem for the sub continent teams who would love to take their flat 5-600 runs an innings tracks on tour with them.

Oh.

And those Australian chaps certainly don't create wickets utterly designed to suit Mitchell Johnston. No siree.[/quote

Imagine laying pitches which suit your best bowlers. I wonder why India never try this. And pity Dale Steyn, bowling on all those dust bowl tracks.

The toss thing is a nonsense. But generally speaking, the team on top after the first inning comes out on top. Which is fair enough, really.

ETA it also takes more than a week to lay a pitch.

Yes, to ensure fair play I believe the Indians import wickets from Durham, that are juicy greentops. Doesn't suit their 9 spinners, but it just wouldn't be cricket otherwise.

Its just a shame England let the side down by creating these unfair wickets, and cunningly losing the toss on them.. To give the opposition captain first use of them.

Not to even mention the manipulation of the weather to aid swing bowling. Is there nothing these miscreants won't stoop to to get one over those lovely fair minded Antipodean gentleman?