The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Just now, jimbaxters said:

hang on, do we go through to the WC if we win this or is there another match?

This is our final match. Think SL still have to play WI or Oman, but it's irrelevant because SL are already qualified.

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

This is our final match. Think SL still have to play WI or Oman, but it's irrelevant because SL are already qualified.

Ok. Just that the commentator said this was essentially a semi final to try to get through. I thought this was the final, so to speak.

Just now, Pie Of The Month said:

There is a final but both teams in it will have already qualified for the WC.

Yeah, sorry, I forgot

There is actually a Final to decide the winner of this tournament. ICC insists on playing all these playoffs as well to establish a final ranking order all the way down.

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yeah, sorry, I forgot

There is actually a Final to decide the winner of this tournament. ICC insists on playing all these playoffs as well to establish a final ranking order all the way down.

So all going well we’ll be 1 or 2 in the world after this tournament?

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

So all going well we’ll be 1 or 2 in the world after this tournament?

Not quite. The top 8 nations auto qualify for the WC finals in October, with the two Finalists from this tournament joining them. The purpose of having playoffs to decide finishing order I think affects further qualifying tournaments going forward, similar to how seedings work in UEFA international qualifiers. 

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

Not quite. The top 8 nations auto qualify for the WC finals in October, with the two Finalists from this tournament joining them. The purpose of having playoffs to decide finishing order I think affects further qualifying tournaments going forward, similar to how seedings work in UEFA international qualifiers. 

I was being facetious.  The ICC already make this tournament as much of a closed shop as possible.  Scotland (or failing that Netherlands) knocking one of the established nations out of the reckoning will surely lead to a further tightening of qualification routes.