The Cricket Thread

bewlay

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

It doesn't come as a shock tbh, I got the impression from some of the interviews from his former teammates that he had taken his own life. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/articles/cy84x7rrppno

Yeah, it was clear a couple of years back that when they were talking about him being "seriously ill" they meant mental health. As shitey as poor mental health is, that on its own isn't terminal, so as much as I was shocked to hear that he had died it's not really a surprise to find out exactly how that came about. Still desperately sad.

49 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yeah, it was clear a couple of years back that when they were talking about him being "seriously ill" they meant mental health. As shitey as poor mental health is, that on its own isn't terminal, so as much as I was shocked to hear that he had died it's not really a surprise to find out exactly how that came about. Still desperately sad.

It's just awful. Some people still think that depression is a sign of a mental weakness, but when you watched him play against some of the fiercest fast bowlers of the time then there was no doubt about how tough he was mentally. Depression is a dreadful illness, and sadly too many people still don't get the help that they need in time.

Edited by peasy23

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

The more you read, the worse it gets. 😪

BBC News - Inquest into Graham Thorpe's death opened
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c628ezd3ev2o

That's all very heartbreaking. I didn't really think it was something like this because it mentioned the fight with illness previously, and I didn't consider that it could be depression. Feel terrible for the family.

Pope is captaining the rest of the summer then. Interesting to see whether they bring in Cox at 6 or if they push Smith up, bat Woakes at 7 and go for 4 bowlers below that.

Sri Lanka’s batting is usually quite solid with five experienced players in the top 6, Karunaratne, K. Mendis, Chandimal, Mathews and Dhananjaya De Silva but I don’t think their seam bowling has much on the West Indies to be fair.

Totally bizarre that the ECB are permitting a centrally contracted player, the injury prone national team captain at that, to fart about in the mickey mouse dreck that is the Hundred.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Totally bizarre that the ECB are permitting a centrally contracted player, the injury prone national team captain at that, to fart about in the mickey mouse dreck that is the Hundred.

It's the ECB's pet project, of course they are going to take that risk.

I understand them wanting England’s star players playing but you’d have thought a recovering all rounder, captain of the Test team, made of glass like Stokes might have been an exception. He has barely played in the tournament since Alex Hales sent him into a several month absence in 2021.

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Get this entire idea so far to f**k...

Given that Scottish (and Irish and Welsh) players have played test cricket for England, and the seeming majority of folk who post on this thread who support England (I don't!), I'm not sure your thoughts will be echoed by many? I'm in two minds. I'm not a fan of merging some teams for the Olympics (football, rugby 7s) but don't have an issue with others (hockey) and quite like the Lions tours in rugby 15s. Would be quite a big thing for McMullen etc to say that they were an Olympian, so I can see the players being keen.

On 15/08/2024 at 03:22, Boo Khaki said:

Get this entire idea so far to f**k...

On 15/08/2024 at 10:18, Salvo Montalbano said:

Given that Scottish (and Irish and Welsh) players have played test cricket for England, and the seeming majority of folk who post on this thread who support England (I don't!), I'm not sure your thoughts will be echoed by many? I'm in two minds. I'm not a fan of merging some teams for the Olympics (football, rugby 7s) but don't have an issue with others (hockey) and quite like the Lions tours in rugby 15s. Would be quite a big thing for McMullen etc to say that they were an Olympian, so I can see the players being keen.

I’m a fan of it. To the point that I’m going to be subtly trying to bring the wife round to the idea that a summer 2028 holiday to LA is a great idea. 

Sri Lanka pass 200, 8 down. Captain Dhananjaya de Silva made 74, and number 9 on debut Rathnayake is currently 55 not out.

Have to say, this pitch is not very good for a Test match. Ball was keeping low one minute, then flying over the batsmen the next. It won’t be mentioned as it’s England and they only moan about foreign (Indian) pitches.

Edited by Sir Tarmo

IMG_8037.jpeg

Bashir has bowled a fair bit on Day 1…you’d imagine a more seasoned spinner like Jayasuriya would enjoy this pitch which probably isn’t going to get better…De Silva too. That’s if the weather holds up, feels very gloomy.

Edited by Sir Tarmo