The Cricket Thread

bewlay

36 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

SL out for 236 after a good 72 at number 9 on debut from Rathnayake. England batting now.

England running along at 6 an over when bad light ends the day.   This has all the signs of a three day victory already.  

24 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

England running along at 6 an over when bad light ends the day.   This has all the signs of a three day victory already.  

Not sure why Sri Lanka wasted the new ball on 4 overs of spin in those conditions tbh. They made the right call eventually to ask for pace and end the day but they would have been better taking the new ball tomorrow in better conditions.

18 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

That’s the worst day 1 pitch I can remember seeing in England in a long long time. Poor stuff. 

Horrific pitch. Don’t think it will get any easier to bat on either.

Jayasuriya picks up two wickets with brilliant deliveries to Brook and Woakes. England leading by 20 but bad light/rain is persisting and De Silva doesn’t agree to bowl the spinners so they’re probably off for tonight. I don’t think England are going to be in a position for an innings victory, so a result in this Test match might be tricky with the weather.

Had pencilled-in heading over to Old Trafford, but went for my reserve choice because of the weather forecast.  Watched some up-and-coming talent at Oxton, as Cheshire 2nd XI took on The Mighty Lancs under-18 side.  Was made up to see a young lad I know, in the Cheshire line-up.  A quite phenomenal catch from Lancs and a tremendous 89 not out for Luke Prescott made for encouraging viewing.  Got home for the test highlights and glad to see some decent play because a gang from Oxton had made the trip to Manchester.

6 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

That’s Mark Wood injured again

He’d have had 500 test wickets were he not made of chocolate.  Real shame.  

ETA: seems like a great bloke too.  

Edited by Savage Henry

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He’d have had 500 test wickets were he not made of chocolate.  Real shame.  

ETA: seems like a great bloke too.  

Was bowling arguably the best he’s ever bowled too. Some real skill with the ball this summer along with hitting new heights of pace.  

Doesn’t look to be a great deal of pace in this pitch anymore. Pretty slow. Despite still having 4 front line bowling options plus two useful part timers I think they’ll miss Wood who can seem to prize a wicket out of a lifeless pitch.

edit - I think Bashir could extract something from it but he’s still inconsistent at present

Edited by Sir Tarmo