The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Seeing as KP is allegedly off to India to take the money it would be a stupid choice to appoint him.

Get Fat Boab in there, Mike Brearly didn't deserve to be in the team either but he was the best Captain England have had in the past 35 years.

They are gonna have egg on their face next spring when he takes the IPL money.

That and he's South African.

Jack Bannister was on talksport this morning having a proper go at KP for giving his wicket away cheaply, he basically said he must either be dropped or given the captaincy, one extreme to another there but i do think KP as captain would do England a good turn.

Bannister hates Pietersen. He criticises him every match, either for scoring none or for just getting the 174 before throwing away his wicket.

It just makes him look like a stupid old fool.

I give KP until the end of the Ashes series next summer. The press will slaughter him if it goes tits up.

Feel sorry for Vaughan, but the Pattinsen inclusion in that test the other week proved there was something wrong in the selection process.

Moores will go at the end of the summer as well and Donald and Giles will take over.

Right, i was at Edgebaston for the full duration of the test. During it, England played some fantastic cricket, and some downright awful cricket.

I'll go through the team and how i rated them:

Cook: Played well 1st innings, second innings not so good, but everyone has an off day.

Strauss: looked good, got out stupidly in the first innings (stepped on stumps), second again made no good score.

Vaughan: looked out of touch with the bat. Great catch to wrap up SA's second innings though.

KP: poor 1st innings, batted well second, but so predictable he would go for the big shot to get to his ton, the ball wasn't there to be hit.

Bell: batted well 1st, stupid shot to get out 2nd.

Collingwood: still looked out of nick on 100, although looked to be getting his technique back a bit.

Flintoff: 1st innings batted well, 2nd didn't. Fantastic with the ball, especially when against Kallis. Looked shattered by the end.

Ambrose: ok with the bat, thought him and colly were excellent at the end of day 3, took real discipline. Kept well as well, he could do nothing about all the leg byes.

Sidebottom: drop him, looked really unfit.

Anderson: bowled well in patches, not so well in others. Took an amazing catch.

Panesar: really not convinced by him, really looks out of place in that team, noticed he seemed to be at odds with quite a few players. Sadly, the best spinner england have.

On a side note, Kallis should be fined for his reaction to something said in the crowd after he was out in the second innings, he should not be telling someone in the crowd to "f**k off".

Right, i was at Edgebaston for the full duration of the test. During it, England played some fantastic cricket, and some downright awful cricket.

I'll go through the team and how i rated them:

Cook: Played well 1st innings, second innings not so good, but everyone has an off day.

Strauss: looked good, got out stupidly in the first innings (stepped on stumps), second again made no good score.

Vaughan: looked out of touch with the bat. Great catch to wrap up SA's second innings though.

KP: poor 1st innings, batted well second, but so predictable he would go for the big shot to get to his ton, the ball wasn't there to be hit.

Bell: batted well 1st, stupid shot to get out 2nd.

Collingwood: still looked out of nick on 100, although looked to be getting his technique back a bit.

Flintoff: 1st innings batted well, 2nd didn't. Fantastic with the ball, especially when against Kallis. Looked shattered by the end.

Ambrose: ok with the bat, thought him and colly were excellent at the end of day 3, took real discipline. Kept well as well, he could do nothing about all the leg byes.

Sidebottom: drop him, looked really unfit.

Anderson: bowled well in patches, not so well in others. Took an amazing catch.

Panesar: really not convinced by him, really looks out of place in that team, noticed he seemed to be at odds with quite a few players. Sadly, the best spinner england have.

On a side note, Kallis should be fined for his reaction to something said in the crowd after he was out in the second innings, he should not be telling someone in the crowd to "f**k off".

Was he not shouting at Sidebottom at one point?

Was he not shouting at Sidebottom at one point?

Other way round, it was the end of day 1, so all the players were fed up, and sidebottom had a go at panesar when the ball went for 4, even though

1) Panesar was never getting it

2) Sidebottom isn't exactly the best fielder in the world himself.

I thought he just looked really out of place in that side.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/ecb/about-ecb/media-r...,301688,EN.html

Interesting to hear the ECB being critical of th BBC yesterday(carried on drive on 5 live) over a lack of interest in televising any cricket(live). The packages were broken up so that some games could be cherrypicked etc. Ive stuck a link in for ref.

Basicly it looks like no live cricket on terrestial tv.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/ecb/about-ecb/media-r...,301688,EN.html

Interesting to hear the ECB being critical of th BBC yesterday(carried on drive on 5 live) over a lack of interest in televising any cricket(live). The packages were broken up so that some games could be cherrypicked etc. Ive stuck a link in for ref.

Basicly it looks like no live cricket on terrestial tv.

Bit rich coming from the ECB who are hell bent on turning the game into a hack and slash contest thats finished in 2 hours by 2010 and are also majestically milking Stanford for every penny they can get their grubby little protuberances on, I can fully understand the BBC not willing to risk any money on test cricket when the chances are it's going to be dead within 5 years.

Edited by drs

Bit rich coming from the ECB who are hell bent on turning the game into a hack and slash contest thats finished in 2 hours by 2010 and are also majestically milking Stanford for every penny they can get their grubby little protuberances on, I can fully understand the BBC not willing to risk any money on test cricket when the chances are it's going to be dead within 5 years.

Test cricket will never die. If you ask any cricket fan they will agree that test cricket is the true form of the game. Twenty20 will be a flash in the pan i think, interest will die down soon enough.

...but Twenty20 aint aimed at the cricket fan, it's aimed people that that watch football but think Cricket is boring and if Twenty20 keeps going at the same rate then these new fans will soon outnumber the old fans and cricket will follow the money in exactly the same way as football and we'll see more demand for hack and slash and the demise of the 5 day game, which will be a shame but it looks sadly inevitable as the ECB prostitute themselves and the game around the world for a fast buck..

And Harmy and Broad are back in the England team at the expense of Vaughan and Arnie.

Edited by drs

...but Twenty20 aint aimed at the cricket fan, it's aimed people that that watch football but think Cricket is boring and if Twenty20 keeps going at the same rate then these new fans will soon outnumber the old fans and cricket will follow the money in exactly the same way as football and we'll see more demand for hack and slash and the demise of the 5 day game, which will be a shame but it looks sadly inevitable as the ECB prostitute themselves and the game around the world for a fast buck..

And Harmy and Broad are back in the England team at the expense of Vaughan and Arnie.

good point there, i first started watching twenty20 about 3 years ago at my mates house, his dad loved it and got me in to it, soo much better than normal boring cricket but i must admit that i apreciate that sort of match now, as Old Jeff would say, "it's proper cricket"

As i said, the 5 day game will always be there. It survived the introduction of one day games, it will survive twenty20. The ICC will realise the cricket would never be the same without test matches, and so will protect it.