The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Think it's in the bag already for England. Anderson and Swann will rip into them once they have built up a lead of around 350.

As for Broad technically he did nothing wrong but it goes against the values of the game. Would any of the Aussie's walked? No. By the looks of things some people think that because one Aussie walked during his career everyone else should, conveniently forgetting the thousands of ones that didn't. 

That's not what I was saying....I was using Gilchrist as an example of the "values of the game".....that's all. I agreed that Broad did nothing wrong as per the laws of the game.

Think it's in the bag already for England. Anderson and Swann will rip into them once they have built up a lead of around 350.

As for Broad technically he did nothing wrong but it goes against the values of the game. Would any of the Aussie's walked? No. By the looks of things some people think that because one Aussie walked during his career everyone else should, conveniently forgetting the thousands of ones that didn't. 

Michael Clarke stayed for the DRS after doing something similar in 2010. Would he have stayed if England had run out of reviews? Who knows?

Yes Broad should have walked, and I'm relying on TMS as there's no TV coverage I can find here, but I trust the guys to be completely honest on TMS despite their obvious favouritism.

But....but......how often in the last 20 years or so did we here how "weak" England were and how "professional" the Aussies were because they played to the umpire's decision?

Swings and roundabouts maybe?

Anyway, always good listening to TMS and Boycott criticizing batsmen :P

Totally agree that the Ashes is the best series in World cricket......and agree that Broad is perfectly entitled to stay but cricket is always put up there with golf in that "integrity & honesty" is an unwritten rule.

Great stuff so far...long may it continue!

Unwritten and unpractised.

Certain instances they will be all fair play and handshakes. Other times they don't. Its quite like football that way.

Unwritten and unpractised.

Certain instances they will be all fair play and handshakes. Other times they don't. Its quite like football that way.

when you have the england captain and coach barging into the india dressing room to demand the spirit of the game is upheld over the bell dismissal surely they set a high bar for themselves?

when you have the england captain and coach barging into the india dressing room to demand the spirit of the game is upheld over the bell dismissal surely they set a high bar for themselves?

Good point.

Awful start by Australia today, Starc is all over the place.

That's not what I was saying....I was using Gilchrist as an example of the "values of the game".....that's all. I agreed that Broad did nothing wrong as per the laws of the game.

I wasn't actually meaning you. Reading the many posts on BBC website citing Gilchrist. By the looks of things the Aussie's don't have a problem with him standing his ground. Many are saying it's how they are brought up to play the game.

as i understand it if one component is unavailable then it is discounted in the decision making process.

ie. the third umpire had to make his decision on the sources that were working. is that not the case?

The original decision was "not out". For that to be overturned you need clear evidence that the original decision was wrong. Given that the original decision could well have been that the umpire on the field heard 2 noises, in the absence of the Hot Spot technology the original decision should have been upheld.

England were dicked.

Pitch played excellently today, the Aussies have said they can't wait to get on it and bat tomorrow.

I bet :lol:

I'm sure Rogers and Cowan will make hay on that pitch. Maybe knocks of 12 and 21 respectively.

England already have enough runs to win the test. I don't think Australia have a prayer of getting 300.

Felt last night he probably should have walked, but after listening to Sir Geoffrey, I think he's right.

The bowlers don't ask you back when they know you've missed one and the umpires got his finger up, do they?

By the looks of things the Aussie's don't have a problem with him standing his ground. Many are saying it's how they are brought up to play the game.

Their anger seemed to be directed at Dar more than Broad. Only Aggers of the TMS crew seems to be intent on flogging the 'should have walked' line.

Felt last night he probably should have walked, but after listening to Sir Geoffrey, I think he's right.

The bowlers don't ask you back when they know you've missed one and the umpires got his finger up, do they?

And when they can hear and see the batsman got an inside edge, but will go up for the LBW anyway. No sympathy for the Australians at all, but what a howler from Dar. I am completely bemused as to why he didn't see it. It deflected so far and clearly couldn't have been off an arm or thigh pad.

Still that's what happens when you use your reviews for comically poor LBW shouts.

Nope.

England will win this now, over 300 to get on that wicket, with Jimmy reversing and Swann ripping it? A huge ask for the Aussies under pressure of time and the situation. If they can extricate themselves from that then fair play, but I dont see it.

England need to bat as long as they can here and spock as many runs as they can get.

Loved the way Broad walked when he got out there. :lol:

The original decision was "not out". For that to be overturned you need clear evidence that the original decision was wrong. Given that the original decision could well have been that the umpire on the field heard 2 noises, in the absence of the Hot Spot technology the original decision should have been upheld.

England were dicked.

they had hotspot but only one angle.

i haven't seen it confirmed but what to do in the event of a source malfunctioning must be in the DRS agreement, the third umpire isn't making a judgement call in these situations he's simply going through a checklist.