The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Surprised that wasn't an "umpire's call" for pitching in line there. Looked very tight.

EDIT: Or do they not use that because it is based on absolute fact - ie they know exactly where the ball landed?

From the sounds of the commentators explanation (which I didn't 100% understand!), Hawkeye is 100% accurate on where it pitches, and only half the ball has to be in the blue zone. Had the seam been an inch wider out, it would have been umpire's call

That's my worry. I still think England will win, but I'm not convinced it will be a piece of piss like people are predicting. That said, a bit of rain is forecasted for tomorrow, at about 10am. If there's still a bit of cloud around when they start it won't hurt England's chances.

A wee feeling this could be another Edgbaston 2005

Australia chasing down 100+ runs with the tail enders and come within the proverbial bawhair of getting there.

I would not be surprised to see the Aussies make a decent go at this.

Here's hoping. Hadden will be key.

Need someone to have a right go and put 40-50 runs in the board quickly. England started to get worried when the runs where flowing today but when Clark and Smith slowed it down the momentum swung.

Agar scoring the runs to win it would be a fairytale story.

Catching up on a bit of today's cricket. Michael "Athers" Atherton has just a read out a list of cities where they're watching the Ashes then finished with Wigan, Strauss says 'heard it's nice up there'.

I'm betting has HE f**k like.

Missed it all live today but been watching the highlights and now the verdict bit with RAGING Bob Willis.

What the f**k is it they sing on the introduction bits, it should be "we come from a land down under" but it doesn't sound like that.

Those wolf blass wine idents are annoying as well.

This has been a brilliant test match, at the end of every day I've thought England should win but don't rule the aussies out, and that's still true.

What's the deal with The Barmy Army's Trumpeter at Trent Bridge. Are they banned?

Apparently so. Vaughan was on 6-Duck-6 tonight demanding that the trumpeter sneaks himself in for 11 am tomorrow to stoke up the atmosphere.

Local council being jobworth c***s by the sounds of it.

Wouldn't have given this a prayer of making Sunday after Day One.

Love that we are straight back into it at Lord's next week too. Good for the momentum of the series.

Best case scenario today is the Aussies getting to within a couple of runs 9 wickets down when Dar gives the last wicket out LBW after the batsman edges it into his pads. Would be glorious.

Wouldn't have given this a prayer of making Sunday after Day One.

Love that we are straight back into it at Lord's next week too. Good for the momentum of the series.

Best case scenario today is the Aussies getting to within a couple of runs 9 wickets down when Dar gives the last wicket out LBW after the batsman edges it into his pads. Would be glorious.

Your best case scenario would be priceless. The frivolous use of the review system by the Aussies in this test has been amateur hour stuff. It has been a very enjoyable test match. I can see Bresnan being brought in for Finn who since the continual stump hitting controversy looks a different bowler. Also Bairstow as a number six? I like the lad but I just can't see him making much more than the odd fifty.

The only disappointment with a test match next week is that it clashes with the Open.

I think the batsmen will be OK - Bairstow did enough in the first innings to keep his place I reckon. I'm not convinced by him though. Never thought I'd ssy this, but I think Bopara is worth a shot in that position. He can bowl a few overs if you need them to spell a bowler and he's in good nick with the bat. I'd pick him.

Agree about Finn. I'd actually pick Onions rather than Bresnan, though they obviously like Bresnan as he stiffens the tail a good bit. I think it being at Lord's saves Finn though - if it was anywhere else I reckon they'd drop him. I don't think Cook trusts him with the ball either.

I think the batsmen will be OK - Bairstow did enough in the first innings to keep his place I reckon. I'm not convinced by him though. Never thought I'd ssy this, but I think Bopara is worth a shot in that position. He can bowl a few overs if you need them to spell a bowler and he's in good nick with the bat. I'd pick him.

Agree about Finn. I'd actually pick Onions rather than Bresnan, though they obviously like Bresnan as he stiffens the tail a good bit. I think it being at Lord's saves Finn though - if it was anywhere else I reckon they'd drop him. I don't think Cook trusts him with the ball either.

I'm with you on Onions. Always a bit unlucky to be overlooked. Finn has a lot of hard work to do. I was at the ODI at Durham last year and the Finn then was unplayable.

The number six spot is an issue, and I think they will keep faith with Bairstow and I would like to see him succeed.. The other options aren't great. Morgan has failed, Compton is awful and James Taylor has not kicked on. Bopara does look like an option and although not a fan could be useful in this series.

Yeah, I always felt Compton was a strange choice. He was never going to be even a medium term solution. Morgan is definitely not a Test player. He'll never make it at this level.

Almost too nervous to watch. With every run scored, the more convinced I am that Australia will win this test match. In a way it is probably better for the series if they do as England are the better side. Fair play to the Aussies for digging in and giving themselves an opportunity.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app