The Cricket Thread

bewlay

No. this winter the ashes was brought forward to suit england who didnt want to play ashes and the world cup same winter. the current ashes was supposed to be next winter. always thought that thinking was flawed. next ashes is 2017 season i think.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/england/future-england-tours-and-tourists-to-england

Next ashes is 2015, like I said.

My mistake, I swore I read that about the extended gap between the just finished and next Ashes but obviously not.

I see in the ICC FTP that Eng are back in Aus in 4 years time and the mormal cycle resumes so there has effectively been an extra Ashes squeezed in.

Guest The Phoenix

Pathetic in the extreme.

Some pride needs to be established with the ODI's & 20/20 but it's hard to envisage that happening.

Where do you start with the list of failures?

I'll kick off with Bairstow - can't bat and an average W/K at best.

For all Prior was poor in the first three tests, Bairstow isn't the answer to replace him.

The only England player I can think of with that has had any coaching role since they became a bit good is the King of Spain. And I think even he has moved on to a bigger role now.

I don't think Australia is much better to be honest.

It must just be far easier to bitch and moan about what is happening than actually try to do something to improve things.

They don't have any responsibility to improve things. Their job is to provide analysis on what is happening, which is exactly what they have been doing.

If the ECB want these guys to improve things then they should be offering them jobs.

Pathetic in the extreme.

Some pride needs to be established with the ODI's & 20/20 but it's hard to envisage that happening.

Where do you start with the list of failures?

I'll kick off with Bairstow - can't bat and an average W/K at best.

For all Prior was poor in the first three tests, Bairstow isn't the answer to replace him.

I think it was worth giving Bairstow a try. The position is very open now (as are a number of others). Buttler gets a go in ODIs - every option should be looked at, A major rethink required all round.

Boycott on the podcast is tremendous entertainment. As he points out, 31.4 overs they lasted in the second innings, that's hardly a single sessions play. He's also scathing of the ECCB administrators. Where were they all today? They were all quite happy to be out on show at the Oval in the summer when they had won the Ashes.

Boycott on the podcast is tremendous entertainment. As he points out, 31.4 overs they lasted in the second innings, that's hardly a single sessions play. He's also scathing of the ECCB administrators. Where were they all today? They were all quite happy to be out on show at the Oval in the summer when they had won the Ashes.

He's brilliant.

I think it was a KP dismissal in the first Sydney innings:

"That was so wide I wouldn't have reached it with my mother's broom"

He is completely correct of course. The tour has been utterly shambolic and one of the worst performances by any of the major test playing nations in recent history. England's top order have completely shat it facing Mitchell Johnson, and been unable to release themselves from the shackles of Harris and Siddle's precise and economic bowling. Even Nathan Lyon's posed them problems.

As for England, they need root and branch reform of the selection process. What the f**k was the point of Panesar? Why is KP untouchable despite throwing away his wicket virtually every test? Why are the top order shitting their pants against genuine pace?

Cook will have to continue as Captain, purely because none of the others would improve upon him.

All in all, a total mess.