The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Scotland have beaten the UAE by 41 runs to win the World Cup Qualifiers tournament. They'll play in group A with England, Australia, Bangladesh, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan. Two wins would be a tremendous achievement, I think.

Guest The Phoenix

Scotland have beaten the UAE by 41 runs to win the World Cup Qualifiers tournament. They'll play in group A with England, Australia, Bangladesh, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan. Two wins would be a tremendous achievement, I think.

England and who else?

I'd settle for one win as Scotland have yet to win a World Cup match. Realistically I think Zimbabwe are the weakest team we could've played and so we might have been better off losing to UAE so as to end up in their Group. Scotland's record against Ireland lately is diabolical so a win against Afghanistan seems the most likely. If absolutely everything went right, they may be able to run Bangladesh and possibly New Zealand close.

Disappointing, nothing close to me,

17th Feb v NZ in Dunedin

23rd Feb v England in Christchurch

26th Feb v Afghanistan in Dunedin

5th Mar v Bangladesh in Nelson

11th Mar v Sri Lanka in Hobart

14th Mar v Australia in Hobart

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25982894

Not a surprise really. Some great moments and success. But he was going to struggle to survive that result,and the manner England succumbed. More heads to roll?

He stepped down rather than was sacked, but it was probably the right thing to do regardless as he had jettisoned his role in the one day stuff anyway and it would be better for one guy to oversee the lot.

Flower was very good for the test side but his style of playing cricket wasn't ever the most thrilling, a bit cautious at times but he DID get the results, three ashes series wins and that series win out in India being massive achievements. Interspersed with some huge dross against Pakistan, New Zealand and of course the latest series in Australia.

Hopefully they appoint the right guy as there is still some excellent talent in the dressing room and there's no doubt they can come back from this latest mess.

Ashley Giles being the suggestion as he's currently managing the ODI and T20 sides.

I'm not convinced he's the best choice as neither limited over teams have been great recently despite England being current (?) T20 world champs.

Flower will still be in the background doing some sort of coaching, but at best, I think this summer's series would have been his last in charge anyway but I think he decided to let someone new come in off the back of this debacle, probably under less pressure, and to get on with the rebuild especially as Flower wouldn't be seeing it through. I reckon thats reasonably honourable too as Flower could have initiated changes, then left and some other guy may or may not have agreed with it .

He was definitely good for the test side but his shelf life was reached and at least he recognised this.

As for Giles, I think he has the potential to do well in the role but they may as well invite some applications and see whats on the CV's There is plenty of time to get the man they want now anyway.