The Cricket Thread

bewlay

As for Giles, I think he has the potential to do well in the role but they may as well invite some applications and see whats on the CV's There is plenty of time to get the man they want now anyway.

Gary Kirsten's name has been mentioned, if he wants it they would be daft not to give him it IMO. He's done excellent jobs with India and South Africa.

That group looks more interesting to me - we get to take on both the hosts plus England, and also have a winnable game against Afghanistan.

There's obviously the draw of the England game, but I think the other group was potentially easier with both Ireland and Zimbabwe being beatable.

Flower's arguably the best coach England have ever had, it might be a while before his achievements are fully recognised.

Still think it was the right time to go though after the turgid displays of late. Probably good news for the future of KP, which I'm glad about, although I know that's not a popular view right now.

Really looking forward to the ODI against England now. :D

Edited by AberdeenBud

Farcical end to a farcical tour.

There are a few players whose England career should now be over. Root might improve but should be dropped, KP, Bairstow, Bresnan,Tremlett,Rankin, Dernbach, Hales, Lumb, Wright, Balance should now stick to the county game.

Can anyone who regularly watches T20 tell what the point of Jade Dernbach is?

He's finished the T20 series with bowling figures of 1 wicket for a 141 fucking runs from 11 overs.

I think he must have a photo of Ashley Giles shagging a goat. There can be no other explanation for his continued selection.

I think he must have a photo of Ashley Giles shagging a goat. There can be no other explanation for his continued selection.

I vaguely remember him talking himself up as a great death bowler.

Or maybe not as George Bailey, clubbed him for 26 off the last. Getting run out in comedic fashion for 1 puts the tin hat on a fucking derisory performance.

Delighted to see Scotland win that tournament, think Afghanistan and Bangladesh are the likeliest games for a win. And England are such a shambles at the moment, who knows...looked very unlikely this time last year that Scotland would be in the World Cup, so it's a great achievement.

Onto England, I am delighted Flower's gone. The team have gone backwards at 100 miles an hour this winter. There's no doubting he did make improvements and oversaw some great results, but the cricket has been turgid and negative throughout all ten Ashes tests. Even when England were winning last summer, it wasn't at all convincing. It's all very well to play like that (turgid, negative, ultra-conservative) when you are a limited Zimbabwe side trying to compete, when it's England that style is totally inappropriate.

Personally I also think Cook should step down and concentrate on his batting. He doesn't have the tactical nous or imagination to be captain. he will probably survive though as there are so few other candidates at present. Only Bell really is a plausible stop gap. The other candidates- Broad is widely regarded as too much of a "loose cannon" and England seem rather prejudiced against bowlers being captain (Bob Willis may have something to do with that). Pietersen a busted flush. Eoin Morgan- who is an able captain- isn't good enough to make the test side on his own merits.

A big, big re-building job lies ahead. The identity of the new coach will tell us how radical the ECB are prepared to be.

Can anyone who regularly watches T20 tell what the point of Jade Dernbach is?

He's finished the T20 series with bowling figures of 1 wicket for a 141 fucking runs from 11 overs.

According to cricinfo he has the worst bowling economy of any international bowler (subject to some minimum number of deliveries).