The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Well my view is well known. I think Englands success is largely down to bowling first on two very helpful pitches. I do not think the pitches at Trentbridge and Edgebaston were 5 day pitches, I think they were customised for lots of wickets on day one and England got lucky and cashed in. Where the pitches and air were not as helpful Englands bowlers have struggled. At Lords and The Oval conditions were not as helpful and their medium fast attack had little threat. This builds scoreboard pressure and suddenly Mitch looks one hell of a lot faster when you really have to get a big one against him. Siddle has massively added control at one end and built long stretches with no score. Its The Oval and Lyon is a good spinner, he has found purchase here on day 2 which has given Clarke another end he can tie when needed.

I dont think it is 20/20 cricket that is the problem with the batsmen, I think it is the Langer\Hayden\Ponting era Australia that has them thinking they have to go out and score at 4+ an over early door and dominate the attack. With the exception of Rogers they have not been willing to settle in and accumulate. Its the machismo of thinking they have to show the bowler who is boss, that and they have psyched themselves out over the Duke ball.

Englands batsmen also fall for this, especially after the New Zealand series. As a team they spout cliches faster than a football commentator. "Positive brand of cricket" and all that junk. Bit of a total on the scoreboard and they seem to not be able to chuck an anchor over the side and channel their inner Kallis. Runs come to he who waits on the bad balls.

Oz selectors want lynching for not having Siddle in since Cardiff.

Cook goes late in the day for 85,England now 203-6 at the close. He'll be kicking himself as has handled everything the Aussies have thrown at him and gets out to the bowling of Steve Smith.

Forecast for rain from around 2 pm tomorrow.

Edited by peasy23