The Cricket Thread

bewlay

How so?

Because Hales doesn't have the technique to open, and shortening the batting line up exposes the fragility of the middle order.

And Ali is comfortably the best English spinner out there at the moment.

Hameed, Hales and Woakes in for Jennings, Malan and Roland-Jones.

Just now, die hard doonhamer said:

Because Hales doesn't have the technique to open, and shortening the batting line up exposes the fragility of the middle order.

And Ali is comfortably the best English spinner out there at the moment.

Hameed, Hales and Woakes in for Jennings, Malan and Roland-Jones.

They've went through how many negative openers recently, including Hameed? What happens then when Hales comes in at 5 and the new ball comes out? 

It's not shortening the batting line-up if they're three of your most reliable batsmen and why not give yourself as many bowling options as possible?

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

They've went through how many negative openers recently, including Hameed? What happens then when Hales comes in at 5 and the new ball comes out?  It's not shortening the batting line-up if they're three of your most reliable batsmen and why not give yourself as many bowling options as possible?

He'll have already had the chance to feel his way in with the old ball, or have more license to play his natural game as at that stage of the innings it is usually time to accelerate the scoring.

Taking a batsman out is shortening the line up, and while Stokes, Bairstow and Ali are all great, they are also all capable of a brain fart (Bairstow a little less than the others) which sees them out cheaply.

On an English wicket 1 spinner plus a few overs from Root is plenty spin. England should absolutely not be sacrificing a batsman for another bowler.

Just now, die hard doonhamer said:

He'll have already had the chance to feel his way in with the old ball, or have more license to play his natural game as at that stage of the innings it is usually time to accelerate the scoring.

Taking a batsman out is shortening the line up, and while Stokes, Bairstow and Ali are all great, they are also all capable of a brain fart (Bairstow a little less than the others) which sees them out cheaply.

On an English wicket 1 spinner plus a few overs from Root is plenty spin. England should absolutely not be sacrificing a batsman for another bowler.

I would say that taking Malan out and replacing him with Rashid - or a seamer if they wanted in Woakes - is plenty batting. 

It will be won by whoever wins the toss. They'll bat first, post a no better than average score, then the team batting second will capitulate tomorrow afternoon.

The game will not last beyond Monday.

Anyway, every bit spot on. It's all a bit predictable at the moment. I'd love to see a thrilling 5 day match, one team batting to save the match on the last evening. It feels like it's been a while since we saw that.

Bairstow and Ali bat so well because they are playing in the correct positions, moving them down would hamper that. Plus it's hardly like England are putting up massive scores so shortening the batting really isn't an option

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

3 changes to the squad for the West Indies series, Jennings out with Mark Stoneman the latest to be given a shot at opening, Mason Crane replaces Liam Dawson, and Woakes comes in for Finn. In practice, I imagine that means Stoneman and Woakes in for Jennings and TRJ.

You'd imagine they'll go with Stokes 6, Bairstow 7 and Ali 8, and rotate nine, ten and eleven as needs be.  I don't know how good Mason Crane's batting is, but should they feel the need for two spinners they can push everyone up one, although I wish they wouldn't.  The deeper England's batting is the better, for me, as their bowling in English conditions is just phenomenal.  

I know nothing about Stoneman, but I'd imagine Malan's place is secured for at least this series, even though he looked no better than Jennings.