The Cricket Thread

bewlay

India have hit 336 and 352 in this tournament against Pakistan and Australia. Without Dhawan it’ll certainly be harder, but India are well capable of that target IMO. If Sharma, Kohli, Rahul come out and set a good start, it could get worrying for England with big hitters like Pandya and Pant coming in, Dhoni and Jadhav too. I wonder how fit Jofra Archer actually is and how will affect him.

Guest Moomintroll
Can’t see India chasing this down! Need 12 runs an over
Can't see it but while Pandya is in they have a glimmer.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Can't help but believe that the pivotal moment of this game was India's decision not to review when Roy gloved the ball behind. 

If he'd gone at that point England's scoring rate would have slowed and they may well have ended up around the 300 mark. As it stands, India are going to come up around 30 odd short at this rate. 

India just nurdling singles at this point in the game is nuts. They're an over away from losing, so for God's sake go for it. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Didn’t understand India’s tactics from the start of this innings. Surely around a run a ball would have been reasonable target in the first 20/30 overs when chasing over 330. Then Dhoni doing what he does all too often these days towards the end.

Anyway the pain in Sourav’s voice is rather enjoyable here. The most arrogant commentator in cricket.

Didn’t understand India’s tactics from the start of this innings. Surely around a run a ball would have been reasonable target in the first 20/30 overs when chasing over 330. Then Dhoni doing what he does all too often these days towards the end.
Anyway the pain in Sourav’s voice is rather enjoyable here. The most arrogant commentator in cricket.

He really is utterly incapable of seeing India as anything other than perfect. Even the Australian guys have a bit of humility.

Good performance by England, they should be trying to slip the ground staff a few bob to prepare flat tracks and find some weighted coins, as they'll win the lot if that's the case.

NRR is easy to work out but trying to find the exact points for margins to be overturned is finicky, however Pakistan would have to have a huge swing in both games to catch NZ. If both games finished as 200 run victories for England and Pakistan (400 plays 200) NZ would still be ahead of Pakistan on NRR, so Pakistan's only realistic route is an NZ win. 

Bangladesh catching NZ on NRR is more feasible in that they have 2 games to improve their NRR but one of them is against India which you would still fancy India to win.

Edit: Sri Lanka are out as they can't match England's 5 wins even if both teams finish tied.

Edited by Fuctifano

Guest Bob Mahelp

England have a very good recent record against India, so it's no surprise they won today. The game was effectively done and dusted after the first 15 overs or so.....if Roy and Bairstow get settled then the chance is that England will win.

India being 27/1 after 10 overs was just the icing on the cake. 

It did come into my head that England may struggle more against NZ than they did today, but the Kiwis seem to have so many batsmen out of touch it's hard to see anything other than an England win. 

The return of Roy for England and the absence of Dhawan for India were the keys to this game. Both of them do the same role of building an opening partnership well which sets a good base for the innings. Rahul is also never an opener, far more suited to being in at 4.

India’s batting was bizarre, started really slowly, then picked up and looked like they could win. Then the wicket of Kohli slowed things down but the lack of urgency was strange.

England-NZ game should be interesting. England can’t let Williamson and Taylor build any sort of partnership or they’ll be in trouble. I personally don’t think NZ are that good, but England have lost to worse sides this tournament.

The return of Roy for England and the absence of Dhawan for India were the keys to this game. Both of them do the same role of building an opening partnership well which sets a good base for the innings. Rahul is also never an opener, far more suited to being in at 4.

India’s batting was bizarre, started really slowly, then picked up and looked like they could win. Then the wicket of Kohli slowed things down but the lack of urgency was strange.

England-NZ game should be interesting. England can’t let Williamson and Taylor build any sort of partnership or they’ll be in trouble. I personally don’t think NZ are that good, but England have lost to worse sides this tournament.
So if England lose they need Pakistan to not win against Bangladesh?

Fancy England to win on Wednesday to get through.

As for the semis and final, I feel it will come down to whether England’s batting comes off. India and Australia are both playing old fashioned stuff with the bat and 280-300 is not enough on a good day for England.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, KingswellsRed said:

Fancy England to win on Wednesday to get through.

As for the semis and final, I feel it will come down to whether England’s batting comes off. India and Australia are both playing old fashioned stuff with the bat and 280-300 is not enough on a good day for England.

Looks like it could be an England v India semi-final.

I'm sure England would be happy with that, they have India figured out. 

Just watching the match round-up just now.....everyone is stunned how stupidly passive India were at the beginning of their innings. That gift wrapped the game for England. 

I don’t think England can be happy with anything yet, given that they have lost 3 games out of 8. Every game will be a big test from now on for them.

Semi-Final matchups are going to right down to the wire. Australia should have top spot tied down unless they managed to lose to SA. India should stroll into second, with first looking unlikely now. I don’t think Bangladesh will make it now, although they may catch India cold in a couple of days time to give them a chance. It’s all on the ENG/NZ and PAK/BAN games. Pakistan are on a bit of a roll now, so I’d expect them to beat Bangladesh, but I’d also expect England to beat NZ, barring one of their disasters.

Guest Moomintroll

Should be a good game today to follow on from yesterdays cracker. Get the feeling that MS Dhoni is going to pull a performance out of the bag today after all the criticism around his scoring rate from the Indian media & fans recently. Shakib will just Shakib it.