The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Archer omitted from first test in favour of Woakes. Fine with Woakes being in but think it was Alistair Cook who said a Stokes, woakes, broad and Anderson seam attack wasn't particularly attractive and I agree. Especially in a series where ball is expected to dominate bat.

6 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Archer omitted from first test in favour of Woakes. Fine with Woakes being in but think it was Alistair Cook who said a Stokes, woakes, broad and Anderson seam attack wasn't particularly attractive and I agree. Especially in a series where ball is expected to dominate bat.

Yep, it's all a bit samey. I guess they're expecting a turning pitch, otherwise I'd have omitted Denly and gone with another seamer.

Don’t think Archer missing out is a surprise tbh. Clearly needs more time to recover for the second test. Stone was never going to play and is the only clear back up player in the 14. S Curran was always going to struggle to get into the side which may seem harsh on him but I think that’s the correct team for the first test.

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:59, die hard doonhamer said:

It really is excellent for the game here. I did not expect them to draw in the big names that they have, and it can only benefit the local guys getting to train and play alongside them. Gutted I can't make any of the games this time, but will definitely be making the effort next year.

Any idea how to get tickets?

Gower definitely and assumed Botham as well being binned by Sky after this series. Not too fussed about the latter but think Gower is still a decent anchorman. 
Think home advantage and the series being played so late in the summer will sway it for England. 
Why is that? Always liked Gower, I spoke to him a couple of times (once at the Grange during the 99 World Cup and once outside the Rose Bowl) and he was great value, really knows his stuff and has grown as a host.
Any idea how to get tickets?
Same question. The website doesn't have any ticket info, which is a bit strange. It's a shame the schools are back, it'll only be the Saturday or Sunday games I'll be able to make.

On 27/07/2019 at 13:58, Savage Henry said:

Roy

Burns

Denly

Root

Bairstow

Stokes

Buttler

Ali

Woakes

Broad

Anderson

I don't think Archer will play in the first test, but will come into the team for the second test if he's fit and England are behind or if the first test is drawn.   Put Curran in for Broad, and that's just a ridiculously strong batting lineup.  Curran's a hard guy to leave out.    Broad is pretty much living test to test, but I thought he was good against Ireland.

^^^ Ashley Giles found.

15 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Why is that? Always liked Gower, I spoke to him a couple of times (once at the Grange during the 99 World Cup and once outside the Rose Bowl) and he was great value, really knows his stuff and has grown as a host.Same question. The website doesn't have any ticket info, which is a bit strange. It's a shame the schools are back, it'll only be the Saturday or Sunday games I'll be able to make.

Yeah I plan on attending the Saturday. I tweeted Cricket Scotland but got no response either. You would think they would be pushing them like mad.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Why is that? Always liked Gower, I spoke to him a couple of times (once at the Grange during the 99 World Cup and once outside the Rose Bowl) and he was great value, really knows his stuff and has grown as a host.

Presume they just want to move some of the older guys on, same way that Bob Willis was shifted off commentary but ended up on the review show.

5 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Gower definitely and assumed Botham as well being binned by Sky after this series. Not too fussed about the latter but think Gower is still a decent anchorman. 

Think home advantage and the series being played so late in the summer will sway it for England. 

57 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Presume they just want to move some of the older guys on, same way that Bob Willis was shifted off commentary but ended up on the review show.

No disappointment to see Botham go, he's the weak link in the sky commentary team. Gower will be a miss though, I think he's very good as both a host and commentator.

31 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

No disappointment to see Botham go, he's the weak link in the sky commentary team. Gower will be a miss though, I think he's very good as both a host and commentator.

Yeah.  I love Gower.  Botham's right leaning views weren't always very well hidden, but for the most part I prefer the older guys on Sky than the younger ones.  Atherton might be the best commentator going in any sport, in this country.  He's brilliant.

I'd bin Holding as well, as much he's got an accent that could sound good reading the phone book, I'm not sure how much he adds these days.

Assume Ward will be Gower's replacement as anchor although I don't know whether he'll commentate too, and I've read Isa Guha is pretty much nailed on with Sky now, which isn't great based on her world cup commentary, . Of the existing second tier sky guys who do the likes of the domestic T20 I like Mark Butcher but not Rob Key

I'd love them to get Vaughan, he'd basically be a Botham replacement in terms of the barely concealed politics but he was a brilliant captain and I think he's very good on the BBC in terms of analysis; I wonder though if he sees himself being the Boycott replacement BBC staple when GB retires or dies, though f**k knows how far right Vaughan's politics will be when he's 70 😄

Yeah.  I love Gower.  Botham's right leaning views weren't always very well hidden, but for the most part I prefer the older guys on Sky than the younger ones.  Atherton might be the best commentator going in any sport, in this country.  He's brilliant.
Agree about Athers. His writing is very good too.