The Cricket Thread

bewlay

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’d keep running Ali out there. Having him at 8 makes the balance of the team ideal, allows you to play Anderson, Broad and Archer without the tail being problematically long, and gives you flexibility to mix up 5,6, and 7.

The English bowling lineup isn’t the issue - there’s loads of talent there and plenty coming through.

Yea, its batting where the problems lie. Too often getting out far too softly. 

Not sure what to do about Roy. Give him another chance down the order as he was last test to see if he can adapt to red ball cricket. I probably would. That and take the captaincy from Root so he can concentrate on his batting. 

Oh for another Cook.

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Unchanged squad. Stokes likely to play as a batsman only, with Woakes or Curran coming in if so, probably for Overton or for Buttler. A bit of a change in balance either way.

I didn't expect the squad to change for this last test, Bayliss last as head coach. Can't see Stokes bowling while carrying an injury. Hopefully will not affect his batting too much. 

The change in balance could be a good thing.

Did Moeen Ali not make 121 not out off about 50 balls a few days ago? I know it’s T20, and a pretty poor standard of it, but all this will be doing his confidence the world of good. See how he does on Finals Day, then give him a run out in the NZ T20Is and if he’s looking good then we might see him back for the next Tests in NZ.

1 hour ago, Glenanover said:

Got a choice of one of two tests next year. Either Windies at Edgbasten or Pakistan at Trent Bridge. Have not been to a test at either so can anyone recommend what would be best.

Personally I'd go to the trent bridge one. Nothing to do with the ground, but the game is likely to be better.

41 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Personally I'd go to the trent bridge one. Nothing to do with the ground, but the game is likely to be better.

Cheers. Have never been to Edgbasten but a couple of years ago was in Nottingham and did a tour of Trent Bridge. Nottingham was a really nice city as well. 

2 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Did Moeen Ali not make 121 not out off about 50 balls a few days ago? I know it’s T20, and a pretty poor standard of it, but all this will be doing his confidence the world of good. See how he does on Finals Day, then give him a run out in the NZ T20Is and if he’s looking good then we might see him back for the next Tests in NZ.

He's the best spinner England has by some distance, when his head's right.  If he can average 30 with the bat, occasionally hitting 50 or 100, then as long as he's bowling well he should play.  If he's doing one but not the other, he should still play.  The problem is when his batting goes, his bowling regresses too.

10 minutes ago, Glenanover said:

Cheers. Have never been to Edgbasten but a couple of years ago was in Nottingham and did a tour of Trent Bridge. Nottingham was a really nice city as well. 

Trent Bridge is my favourite test ground, by quite a distance.  You do have to walk through an exceptionally seedy housing estate to get there from the city centre, but other than that, it's a damn fine place to watch cricket.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Trent Bridge is my favourite test ground, by quite a distance.  You do have to walk through an exceptionally seedy housing estate to get there from the city centre, but other than that, it's a damn fine place to watch cricket.

The missus and I got a bus from the city centre that dropped us off right outside the ground. 

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Well, there is that option,  It's an easy-to-access ground.  

We found Nottingham to be an easy city to get around. The trams are excellent.

We both really liked the city. It has a lot going for it if you like sport. Cricket, football, ice hockey and horse racing to name a few things. 

He's the best spinner England has by some distance, when his head's right.  If he can average 30 with the bat, occasionally hitting 50 or 100, then as long as he's bowling well he should play.  If he's doing one but not the other, he should still play.  The problem is when his batting goes, his bowling regresses too.
Was his failure to simply tie up an end not a factor as well? He wasn't taking wickets, wasn't scoring runs and wasn't drying them up either. Leach isn't a batsman, or much of a wicket taker but until going for a run a ball in the Aussie 2nd innings he was fairly economical.