The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Guest Moomintroll
I’d go as far as saying Root leaving one in on Burns has ended the series for England. Sibley is learning on the job next to Burns but now we’re left with 2 inexperienced openers.

It’s a bit too early for Crawley. He has a career average of 30 and only averaged 34 this season in County cricket. That’s below Ravi Ashwin and Dom Bess. Even with guys he has scored comparable runs to, he’s well behind the likes of Cook, Ballance, Kohler-Rapemore, Northeast and Denly etc. Sibley (1324 runs at 69) and Pope (averaging over 80) are the two clear standouts to come in from County cricket.

Ideally Foakes and Moeen are brought back soon, and hopefully Sibley can be the long awaited competent opener.
I wish someone would say exactly what Ben Foakes has done to piss the ECB off, he is clearly the best WK they have & batted excellently when he was given his brief chance.

7 runs added by England this morning before Anderson falls, 269 all out.

Good start with the the ball, Malam goes for 5 with Broad getting one to do a bit off the pitch and take the edge. 26-1.

269 might be an alright score.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

269 might be an alright score.

It feels slightly below par to me. With 6/8 England batsmen getting in yesterday, I can't help but feel that at least one of the South Africans is going to get in and stay in once the ball softens up a bit.

The commentators have already spoken about the cracks just outside of off stump from the end the wickets have come from. Maybe if they can stay on that line and apply pressure from the other end 269 isn't a wholly indefensible score

It's definitely a defendable score with an inexperienced batting line up for SA, but it doesn't take away from the fact so many England batsmen gave their wicket away cheaply yesterday.

Van der Dussen reprieved on a DRS lbw review, not really sure how the umpire missed that big an inside edge.

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Broad gets van der Dussen, but turns out it's a big no ball. The ball really took off the pitch.

The non-calling of no balls in test cricket is an utter shambles. Massive no balls are being bowled regularly and are only called if they take a wicket. It needs to change.

The non-calling of no balls in test cricket is an utter shambles. Massive no balls are being bowled regularly and are only called if they take a wicket. It needs to change.

Stokes has been bowling them all morning but has hardly been pinged.

KP was on commentary earlier and was saying that in a recent test he was working on in India it was the 3rd umpire's job to check every ball for a no ball. That has to be the way forward.

4 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It feels slightly below par to me. With 6/8 England batsmen getting in yesterday, I can't help but feel that at least one of the South Africans is going to get in and stay in once the ball softens up a bit.

This partnership is just confirming this for me. Expect SA to have a close to 3 figure first innings lead.