Official P&b Cycling Thread

I'm assuming you're an Extra Large Frame?

If not

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/285043/products/2015-giant-roam-1-hybrid-bike-black-red.aspx?origin=pla_with_promotion&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CPTz4JH60csCFc0y0wodPmQEwg

Eta Ooppps just noticed its the Giant Roam 2 you're after

Cheers UTN. I think the Roam 1 is actually a better spec than the 2 and i also prefer the colour but unfortunately that site doesn't use the CTWS that my work uses. 

My works scheme ends 31/03/16 so I've got until then to order a bike.

When you go out, always try and head out into a headwind, so when your a bit more tired coming back, at least you'll have a tailwind behind you. 

The most important thing in all of this, is enjoy it

Unfortunately the wind factor is something you have to 'adapt to' when commuting to and from work.

I've been using the MTB with road tyres for the work commute a few times a week trying to build up some miles to offset my like for beer n wine

The journey home tonight (just under 13 miles) took me nearly 18 minutes longer than the exact same route last Wednesday.

At one point at an exposed bit the wind had me down to 5mph.. :(

All smiles now with the help of a glass of Shiraz... :P

Just a further reminder of my charity cycle for this year if anyone wants to donate - either as a one off or some kind of commitment to sponsoring me per the (100) mile.

I'm at 273 miles for the year, aiming to break through 300 tomorrow which puts me above my 100 miles a month target.  To be honest I'll probably smash that target easily.

https://www.justgiving.com/pennyamilecycle

As Printer says, just go out as often as you can and increase distances.

Don't get hung up about how fast you can go though.

It's also a wee bit easy at times when out yourself to take to route which avoids most hills, don't , as this will not only limit your route options, but also make you more confident and stronger.

When you go out, always try and head out into a headwind, so when your a bit more tired coming back, at least you'll have a tailwind behind you. 

The most important thing in all of this, is enjoy it

Sage advice as always, but I'd take issue with your penultimate sentence, UtN: down here it's a headwind both ways!

I went to Hooked on Cycling in Bathgate - http://www.hookedoncycling.eu/bike-fitting-service/

I was delighted with the results. It was pretty dramatic - seat up something like 3 inches. It's definitely made a difference. A lot of the guys I know have been there too and are happy also.

Cost about £65 - but if he recommends a new stem, say, it could be dearer.

He adjusted my cleats, and put a wee shim under one as one of my legs is like a quarter of an inch shorter than the other.

I don't like Spokes as a rule as they were forever criticising my Wiggle bought Focus MTB.

Thanks for that. I've never used Spokes, but have used Leslie bike shop and dont feel they are that interested unless you are a total biking fiend. A few folk I know like Spokes but none have had a bike fit to my knowledge.

The Bathgate place is much cheaper than other places too.... It might be worth the hours drive.

Cheers

Thanks for that. I've never used Spokes, but have used Leslie bike shop and dont feel they are that interested unless you are a total biking fiend. A few folk I know like Spokes but none have had a bike fit to my knowledge.

The Bathgate place is much cheaper than other places too.... It might be worth the hours drive.

Cheers

The Leslie Bike Shop is good for buying bikes but a lot of folk who buy bikes from them go to Dougie at Hooked on Cycling for their fit.

Check the price if you're booking!!

Trying to get back into cycling again so planning on getting out this weekend.

Anyone got any decent routes from West End of Glasgow? I'm keen to not spend too much time on busy roads whereas most routes seem to suggest just that?

ETA: Scratch that, just realised there is traffic free routes. Confused with all this national cycle network stuff but now see I can take the 7 as far as Loch Lomond

Edited by richDFC

Decided to cycle to work today for the first time this year.

Suffice to say I was blowing out my arse on the final hill, but thankfully coming home is a bit more gentle. Sore as f**k though; I always forget that the first time back on the saddle in months makes for a painful second time.

The Leslie Bike Shop is good for buying bikes but a lot of folk who buy bikes from them go to Dougie at Hooked on Cycling for their fit.

Check the price if you're booking!!

Thanks for the heads up about Hooked on Cycling. I went on Saturday, a few minor adjustments to cleats, handlebars and seat position.

I went out today and increased my average speed, no knee or hip pain, and no pins and needles in my hand.

Well worth it, and at half the price of most other places, it's a no-brainier.

Thanks again

Thanks for the heads up about Hooked on Cycling. I went on Saturday, a few minor adjustments to cleats, handlebars and seat position. I went out today and increased my average speed, no knee or hip pain, and no pins and needles in my hand. Well worth it, and at half the price of most other places, it's a no-brainier. Thanks again

I'm really pleased you got on ok. Always wary recommending places just in case. I think he knows his stuff. Like you I noticed a difference in comfort and speed after I went.

Bought myself my first ever Fixie yesterday. I like the simplicity of it, going to use it for easy commutes. I was actually after a wee foldaway bike but had a try out on this & liked it. Got it from the Edinburgh Bike Station.

A bit weird getting use to the back pedal breaking.

Any tips on any other aspects of the Fixie that I need to be aware of?

Grimbo

Bought myself my first ever Fixie yesterday. I like the simplicity of it, going to use it for easy commutes. I was actually after a wee foldaway bike but had a try out on this & liked it. Got it from the Edinburgh Bike Station.

A bit weird getting use to the back pedal breaking.

Any tips on any other aspects of the Fixie that I need to be aware of?

Grimbo

Don't fall off... ;)

Bought one of these on Saturday, second hand for about £200.

Need a new saddle and need to replace the clips with normal pedals, until I decide to be brave enough to use the clips.

With regards to saddles: Am I better buying a comfortable padded saddle, or better buying decent padded shorts?

I was out yesterday on my old bike for the first time in around 6 months. Managed just under 40km in just under 2 hours, but my arse was left feeling like I spent Saturday night at a pool party at Michael Barrymore's house.

Bought one of these on Saturday, second hand for about £200.

Need a new saddle and need to replace the clips with normal pedals, until I decide to be brave enough to use the clips.

With regards to saddles: Am I better buying a comfortable padded saddle, or better buying decent padded shorts?

I was out yesterday on my old bike for the first time in around 6 months. Managed just under 40km in just under 2 hours, but my arse was left feeling like I spent Saturday night at a pool party at Michael Barrymore's house.

With regards to the pedal situation you just need to grab the bully the horns and go clipped. SPDs are easy and if need be sit on the bike using a wall for support and practice unclipping. It's quite easy and nothing to be afraid of but you need to do it as you'll notice a huge difference.

With regards to the pedal situation you just need to grab the bully the horns and go clipped. SPDs are easy and if need be sit on the bike using a wall for support and practice unclipping. It's quite easy and nothing to be afraid of but you need to do it as you'll notice a huge difference.

I know I probably should, and I reckon in a few months I probably will. Right now though I'm content at doing what I have been doing.

I know I probably should, and I reckon in a few months I probably will. Right now though I'm content at doing what I have been doing.

It's all about the enjoyment and nothing else! Your new bike looks good and I think you got a good deal on it.