Official P&b Cycling Thread

Back from a weeks cycling in Majorca

Terrible weather on the day we arrived and a mechanical on the last day meant I only had 5 full days on the bike

However, chuffed I still managed 368 miles and just over 28,000 feet of climbing

Majorca really must be one of the best destinations in the world for road cycling

Roll on next year

Its more likely your bike set up. Especially the handlebars and seat, try a video like this 

See if adjusting your bike helps. 

(edited to change the video. )

That's really helpful, thanks. And the guy's rather easy on the eye, too. Been getting a bit of an ache across my shoulders when out on longer rides, recently - been thinking I should adjust my saddle.

That's really helpful, thanks. And the guy's rather easy on the eye, too. Been getting a bit of an ache across my shoulders when out on longer rides, recently - been thinking I should adjust my saddle.

I used to get a really sharp pain across my shoulders on long rides. A proper bike fit sorted it - seat up 2 inches.

I was all set to cycle to work this morning...until I got my bike out the shed and found the rear tyre flat as a pancake.  So car it was.

I've just taken the wheel and tyre off and found a bit of metal pierced right through. The inner tube is irreparable, but I'm wondering if I need a new tyre as well.

post-12065-0-84633900-1464021883_thumb.j

5p piece is for size reference.

The actual hole is the same size as the bit of metal.  Tiny holes are usually OK but I just feel this will leave the inner tube too exposed. 

What do people think?

I was all set to cycle to work this morning...until I got my bike out the shed and found the rear tyre flat as a pancake.  So car it was.

I've just taken the wheel and tyre off and found a bit of metal pierced right through. The inner tube is irreparable, but I'm wondering if I need a new tyre as well.

attachicon.gifIMG_0506.JPG

5p piece is for size reference.

The actual hole is the same size as the bit of metal.  Tiny holes are usually OK but I just feel this will leave the inner tube too exposed. 

What do people think?

If you are not planning on anything 'major distance wise' for a bit, try fitting a tube the correct diameter (26 inch or 700 etc) but a size or two bigger, eg a 25 instead of a 23 and so on. The tube is less stretched so should be that wee bit stronger if something gets through the hole.

I have heard of some cyclists who dab some super glue on a wee hole, but have never done it myself..

Alternatively use a patch repair for an inner tube and stick it to the inside of the tyre, Just follow the same procedure but prepare the inside of the tyre and fold it inside out (and flat) when you apply the patch. It may cause a wee imbalance but unless you are gonna be super speedy I doubt you will notice

Anyway it seems like today was 'breakdown day' for us north east cyclists, I broke yet another spoke about a mile from work this morning. Removed the spoke at work, took a chance and managed to cycle the 13 miles home safe enough..

I have a few spare spokes and I will fit a new one tomorrow however I ordered the wrong diameter so now need to find the correct ones on the WWW...

Ah, the joys of cycling.. :rolleyes:

Edit to add. On having asecond look I think your tyre is pretty much beat. Ignore my thicker tube option. You might get away with a patch repair to see you to pay day though... ;)

Edited by broon-loon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm aiming for 400 miles in June, have done 75 miles in 3 days in this heat and my legs are like steel.

I managed 343 miles in March, 80 miles in April then missed out on a 400 mile May by 11 miles..

The cycle home tonight will get me to the 1000 miles this year so far. Saying that showers with the possibility of thunderstorms might force me on the bus home instead.. :P

I updated on my tire situation in the now purged wasteland.

Anyway, long story short - took it to a shop; guy reckoned I was OK for now, but replace before any serious cycles. So my intention is to get tough tires (Gatorskins or similar) before this year's PFS.

The rain on Tuesday evening was not fun. I was like a drowned rat when I got home.

I managed 343 miles in March, 80 miles in April then missed out on a 400 mile May by 11 miles..

The cycle home tonight will get me to the 1000 miles this year so far. Saying that showers with the possibility of thunderstorms might force me on the bus home instead.. :P

I'm at 170 now, will get to 200 tomorrow which will mean I'm only really 3 days behind target.

Quick edit from 300 to 200.

Edited by Dindeleux

Managed (just) to get myself up to the Cairn O Mount summit and back home this morning..

I thought that over 1100 miles in the saddle this year would be some kind of preparation but those kinda gradients really do demand more respect.

Anyway, a few 'pit stops' were needed to get to the summit but at least the wind was helpful on the way back home...

For the 'stats' the Garmin recorded the trip at 52.3 miles and 2665 foot of climbing..

Old men like me should really know better... :wacko:

Beginning to get some fitness back after my arm break and a recent chest infection.

40 miles at a reasonable lick yesterday and 23 at an easy pace today with my two daughters today for Fathers' day. :-)

I have just got my bike going to start by cycling to and from work which should be about 20 miles there and back.

Just new to cycling but want to attempt a sprint triathlon so need to get the miles up on the bike.

Be hard to combine the running and cycling but should be good fun

post-52778-14663649187721_thumb.jpg