Official P&b Cycling Thread

How many miles would you expect to get out of a set of tyres on a new GianIt Cyclocross bike?

1286908367284-kiyxazqvfh31-700-80.jpg

Difficult to answer this BR. If they are similar to the image above then I don't think they would last that long if they were used on hard roads for long periods?

I presume by asking the question you are less than impressed with their wear rate..?

Anyway, as you know the variable factors of where used, tyre pressures, your weight, whether you add a backpack or panniers will all have an impact on the rate of wear.

No sympathy for you though if you have been in 'show off mode' skidding the tyres, popping wheelies etc to impress the ladies.... :P;)

Thanks, Loon. I'm not sure whether to be impressed or not. I've done about 1500 miles - mostly on tarmac - and they're not quite baldy, but I think they probably should be replaced. Are you calling me fat, btw? I'm 89kg, do carry a pannier, but gave up trying to impress ladies 40 years ago when I realised it wasn't working. I try to keep the tyres hard (Matron!) do you think 1500miles a reasonable return?

http://cycletechreview.com/2014/reviews/cyclocross-tyre-guide/

http://www.cxmagazine.com/category/cyclocross-tech/cyclocross-gear-bike-reviews/cyclocross-components-reviews/cyclocross-tire-reviews-tubular-clincher-tubeless

Found these links BR. Not sure they answer your question but maybe of interest for replacements..?

Thanks, Loon. I'm not sure whether to be impressed or not. I've done about 1500 miles - mostly on tarmac - and they're not quite baldy, but I think they probably should be replaced. Are you calling me fat, btw? I'm 89kg, do carry a pannier, but gave up trying to impress ladies 40 years ago when I realised it wasn't working. I try to keep the tyres hard (Matron!) do you think 1500miles a reasonable return?

BTW, no inference intended re your physique, Im no exactly a lightweight either, I enjoy this too much   :guinness

I dinnae believe your 'gave up trying to impress' comment though.... :P

Finally going to to PDS or is it PFS lol this year to try motivate me back onto the bike. Whats the transport situation like would i be as well paying the 20 bucks to get bus back to Glasgow or are trains ok?? I think the Mrs will tell me where to go if i suggest she picks me up.

Edited by paisleysaints

The PFS route has been announced. The finish this year is Ingliston instead of Murrayfield, with associated changes along the way to make it 46 miles. It presumably means no rest stop at Kirliston.

http://pedalforscotland.org/rides/the-classic-challenge/

Bit of a b*****d for travel home, though. I'll likely end up having to cycle to Haymarket anyway.

Finally going to to PDS or is it PFS lol this year to try motivate me back onto the bike. Whats the transport situation like would i be as well paying the 20 bucks to get bus back to Glasgow or are trains ok?? I think the Mrs will tell me where to go if i suggest she picks me up.

It's a good day out and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. This will be my fifth consecutive year and I'm looking forward to it, but there has been something of a downgrade, I feel, over the years. The transport thing is great - your bike is lovingly loaded onto a TNT truck back to Glasgow Green and your bus goes pretty much along with it.

Thanks Rover using the transport/bus sounds best option really. I'm guessing trains will be jammed with limited spaces for bikes.

I've been trying to do it for past 3 years but my sons birthday party keeps getting arranged close to it. So this time get booked up before the party is booked lol

Just went buying mad new Jersey, jacket and clip on TT bars :lol: probably only get used the once but why not lol

Edited by paisleysaints

• 4 weeks later...

Managed 34 miles or so on Saturday, but it sounds better when I say 54.6km so I'm going to stick with that.

Impressed myself as I was up and out at 8am despite having an absolute skinfull on Friday night. Sunburnt to f**k but could probably have managed a bit more if I'd pushed myself.

On 6/22/2016 at 14:29, The Master said:

The PFS route has been announced. The finish this year is Ingliston instead of Murrayfield, with associated changes along the way to make it 46 miles. It presumably means no rest stop at Kirliston.

http://pedalforscotland.org/rides/the-classic-challenge/

Bit of a b*****d for travel home, though. I'll likely end up having to cycle to Haymarket anyway.

Just seen this.

Not much of the original route left. I guess they have bucked to pressure due to the issues regarding the narrow cycle route and the traffic problems in Edinburgh with lane closures. Getting to Ingliston is hardly 'Edinburgh' though, Murrayfield was a better end point in all honesty. 45 miles isn't a bad distance, good length for a leisure cyclist, but still missing the 70 miler to take away the more serious folks who don't want to do 112 miles. 

Think I'll give it a miss again. 

3 hours ago, paisleysaints said:

Haven't booked up to do this as yet still in the balance.

Going to by a saddle from AliExpress today anyone else went down the cheap n cheerful rout good/bad??

Bought stuff from there before, jerseys, handlebar tape, etc and it's really poor quality. Idk about saddles though.

Edited by Marr1

5 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Just seen this.

Not much of the original route left. I guess they have bucked to pressure due to the issues regarding the narrow cycle route and the traffic problems in Edinburgh with lane closures. Getting to Ingliston is hardly 'Edinburgh' though, Murrayfield was a better end point in all honesty. 45 miles isn't a bad distance, good length for a leisure cyclist, but still missing the 70 miler to take away the more serious folks who don't want to do 112 miles. 

Think I'll give it a miss again. 

Did there used to be a 70 miler, or are just wishing there was? 

Because I am starting to thing 45 miles isn't *that* difficult, but I don't fancy 112.

The weather down here has been glorious. Dunwich Dynamo last weekend. Mental ride by about 3000 people into the night from London towards the North Sea. Some uber Strava KOM types but a huge number doing the longest ride of their lives by a long way. 

Does Scotland have any mass participation over night rides?

Did there used to be a 70 miler, or are just wishing there was? 

Because I am starting to thing 45 miles isn't *that* difficult, but I don't fancy 112.

No i just feel there is a bit of a market for it. The 112 miler was slightly shorter in the 90s too at one point.

I've enjoyed doing it but you need to keep your wits about you more than other rides I've done.

No i just feel there is a bit of a market for it. The 112 miler was slightly shorter in the 90s too at one point.

I've enjoyed doing it but you need to keep your wits about you more than other rides I've done.

I tend to agree with you. Some sportive I've done tend to have a 60/70 middle if the road distance as well as the longer slogs. The shorter 40 odd mile effort just doesn't seem worth it