Official P&b Cycling Thread

5 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

The transport back to Glasgow at the end (I realise that you're talking about transport for the start) is done on a trust basis. I always buy the ticket but have never been asked to produce it. I hope no-one abuses that situation, but I mention it to reassure you.

Cheers! I appreciate that, it helps put my mind to rest.

Has anyone here done the route before? Is it usually well signposted?

On 7/27/2016 at 22:48, chimneyman said:

Anyone in the Cumbernauld area want to arrange a ride?

I'm a lapsed cyclist, but have started riding a route up Slamannan way. I'm only managing to get out every couple of weeks and need some motivation. Midweek evenings or Saturday / Sunday mornings would suit if anyone's interested.

Cheers.

Some good roads out that way. There's a cycle club in Airdrie that might suit you. I see them out and about midweeks and Sunday mornings.

8 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

Cheers! I appreciate that, it helps put my mind to rest.

Has anyone here done the route before? Is it usually well signposted?

5 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Last year was a new route. It's very well marshalled - you won't get lost.

It's a new route again this year to make up for the finish being at Ingleston instead of Murrayfield. 

Hopefully they've chosen better roads in the new route. Some of the ones last year weren't in the best condition. It's a difficult balance, though, between fully-closed roads, and the roads being decent, i.e. there's more chance of getting an obscure, hardly-used and poorly-maintained B-road closed than an A-road that's the main link between two towns. 

To be fair the move from Murrayfield might have been out of the organisers' control. 

It's a week later this year because of the Tour of Britain so perhaps Murrayfield was unavailable and Ingliston was the only other place with enough space. 

It could also be connected to last year's chaos in Crammond and Silverknowes which meant switching the route back to the unsuitable cycle paths. It might just be a case of there being no feasible traffic-free route to Murrayfield. 

I decided I needed some hill practice so after work I went out to Invergowrie then back up via Ninewells Avenue, which I think has the best similarity to some of the hills in PFS (in terms of length, incline, false summits, and general b*****dness).  It wasn't too bad - once I ran out of gears, I got into a decent rhythm and managed to keep going.

Then a fairly sedate ride home for 12 miles in all.

Anyone on here linked to cycling clubs etc....thinking about planning a cycle event in the Angus glens next year (may sometime) just wondered what everyone thinks of the route and what would you pay to enter such an event....food-drink...mech back-up...first aid...marshalled...all signposted.....and a buffet for the riders at the end (possibly showers) it may be called 'the 3 glen challenge'....clova-prosen-isla...let me know what you think?       https://www.strava.com/routes/6420015                                                                               

46 minutes ago, The Master said:

You'd need to chuck in a free defibrillator for me to be even remotely interested - that's a b*****d of an elevation profile :lol:

Thinking of doing the 4 glens challenge now...you get the choice of 1 glen (clova 40m)...2 glen (clova-prosen 52m) 3 glen and the 4 glen (clova-prosen-isla-genshee 90m).....bit of everything for everyone!! :-)

That's me not long finished PFS. 3h24m of moving time which I'm really happy with. 

It was a pretty good route with not too many tough hills and no hairy descents with gravel-covered tight corners at the bottom either.

A really good day overall. Not too many Wiggo wannabes either. 

Edited by The Master

3 hours ago, The Master said:

That's me not long finished PFS. 3h24m of moving time which I'm really happy with. 

It was a pretty good route with not too many tough hills and no hairy descents with gravel-covered tight corners at the bottom either.

A really good day overall. Not too many Wiggo wannabes either. 

I did it this morning with a time of 2h50m which I was quite pleased with. I was impressed with the level of marshalling and the marking of the closed roads considering it went through some busy areas. The only disappointment was the last mile going into the RHS over the mud and gravel.

Serious downgrades in PFS rendering this year the least enjoyable of the 5 I've done. Good to cycle on closed roads but the food stations were overcrowded and less well supplied. A marshal at every street corner is unnecessary. Ingliston is a dump rendering the finishing line an anticlimax. Effectively, Edinburgh was removed from the route. Pondering whether to do it next year.

The rest stops were a bit poor and the start was a bit chaotic as they were happy to let anyone start in whatever wave they wanted. I only really stopped at the third stop and only for a pee and at the palace just to see what lunch was like, needless to say I didn't hang around for very long.

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

Serious downgrades in PFS rendering this year the least enjoyable of the 5 I've done. Good to cycle on closed roads but the food stations were overcrowded and less well supplied. A marshal at every street corner is unnecessary. Ingliston is a dump rendering the finishing line an anticlimax. Effectively, Edinburgh was removed from the route. Pondering whether to do it next year.

I think the marshals were to stop traffic more than anything else. I saw at least two irate motorists arguing about not getting on the road.

As for the finish, for me it's more about finishing as opposed to where in Edinburgh(-ish) it is. So long as I can get my Aberdeen Angus deluxe burger I'm happy :lol:

Also, there's work being done outside Murrayfield just now which might have precluded a finish there. Last year also showed how difficult it is to get a traffic-free route into Edinburgh without using the unsuitable cycle paths.

35 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

The rest stops were a bit poor and the start was a bit chaotic as they were happy to let anyone start in whatever wave they wanted. I only really stopped at the third stop and only for a pee and at the palace just to see what lunch was like, needless to say I didn't hang around for very long.

I tend to just use the rest stops as a way of refilling my bottles and getting something to eat from my own supplies. Technically I could do it anywhere but it's better in a place where a lot of people are stopping anyway. I think the only time I've taken something from a rest stop was a cake at Kirkliston a couple of years ago because I'd heard they were good.

I did notice the Avonbridge stop was smaller than normal, and we didn't actually go into Drumpellier.  The latter though might have been to do with getting the distance right for the new route. 

Edited by The Master

Oh aye and another thing, not specifically related to PFS. 

I cycled from Ingliston to Waverley and, not being familiar with the route, just followed the signs. Who in Edinburgh City Council thought it was a good idea to have a cycle route go along cobbled streets? I think I've only just stopped shaking!