Official P&b Cycling Thread

5 minutes ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

Just back from buying it at the shop in Canonmills.  Did a bit of reading online and saw a lot of good things about it.  It's just for cycling around town and Water of Leith.  Had to spend another £180 on helmet, lights, mudguards, d lock and decided to get a rack added although I'm not sure I'll ever use it I thought I may as well for £13.

Enjoy, Joe - come back with a review, please.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Ideal for rattling around Edinburgh and roaming the cycle tracks etc. Should be quick enough and robust enough for Edinburgh potholes and glass-strewn tracks.  I've got a Revolution track (single speed) and like how simple, robust and quick it is. 

Out of curiousity why do people go for a single speed?  I'm a very casual cyclist and only ever had MTBs in the past (apart from bmx's as a youth) so the idea of having 8 gears on that bike above seemed odd to me. 

38 minutes ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

Just back from buying it at the shop in Canonmills.  Did a bit of reading online and saw a lot of good things about it.  It's just for cycling around town and Water of Leith.  Had to spend another £180 on helmet, lights, mudguards, d lock and decided to get a rack added although I'm not sure I'll ever use it I thought I may as well for £13.

Enjoy your new toy!

35 minutes ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

Out of curiousity why do people go for a single speed?  I'm a very casual cyclist and only ever had MTBs in the past (apart from bmx's as a youth) so the idea of having 8 gears on that bike above seemed odd to me. 

I've had all sorts of fancy bikes but these days most cycling I do is journeys of just a few miles of so. Really low maintenance - oil it, pump up tyres and make sure the chain is tight and that's about it. It forces you to blast uphill but they're light so you can carry the speed. Only downside I find is when you reach about 30mph that's it - you run out of gearing. 

I can't really offer much advise beyond Specialized are good. That's the make of my current bike that's into its fourth year of commute-based punishment now.

On a different note, am I mad for thinking that it won't actually be too bad cycling to work tomorrow in 40mph gusts? :unsure: 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Right gents, looking to buy a bike this week on cycle to work scheme. Been thinking about it for a while and an 11 mile run on a borrowed hybrid the other day swayed me.

I didnt overly like the hybrid and am unlikely to use it off roads. So that leaves road or cyclocross. Can either of them cope with a canal path? No big deal if not, but would be handy.

Been pointed towards specialized or canondale by a mate. Obv the vouchers only go up to a grand and I have literally nothing so would need all the kit, lights pedals helmet etc as well as bike.

Help me out

I'd say that a hybrid is the bike for you - perhaps try a different one? Specialized do a large range and everyone I speak to who's had one speaks well of them - I think that also applies to Canondale, mind. I ride a cyclocross and it also has the versatility to be good on the canal paths. Report back, please!

I can't really offer much advise beyond Specialized are good. That's the make of my current bike that's into its fourth year of commute-based punishment now.

On a different note, am I mad for thinking that it won't actually be too bad cycling to work tomorrow in 40mph gusts? :unsure: 

It wasn't 40mph but I got blown to an almost standstill last night cycling home.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Right gents, looking to buy a bike this week on cycle to work scheme. Been thinking about it for a while and an 11 mile run on a borrowed hybrid the other day swayed me.

I didnt overly like the hybrid and am unlikely to use it off roads. So that leaves road or cyclocross. Can either of them cope with a canal path? No big deal if not, but would be handy.

Been pointed towards specialized or canondale by a mate. Obv the vouchers only go up to a grand and I have literally nothing so would need all the kit, lights pedals helmet etc as well as bike.

Help me out

This Cannondale is really smart and leaves plenty of dosh for all the equipment. 

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-bad-boy-3-2016-hybrid-bike-EV239426

Road bikes can be a bit more rugged than they look. Potholes tend to be the killer so I wouldn't be too scared of cycle paths. If you try one you might find that riding anything else feels slow and heavy. 

Cyclocross probably the soundest bet:

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caadx-sora-disc-2016-cyclocross-bike-EV214058 

I'd say to try a road bike though - that childish streak will be amused when you realise how fast they accelerate. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think it will see the winter out down here then it will live at my work in Shetland where it will be roads only so I am definitely leaning towards road bike.

Cheers for your input aswell Shandon

I can imagine getting a good speed up on Shetland with the wind behind you. Also, unless you're determined to have the latest paint job you can get massive reduction on previous model year bikes. Big stores may knock £500 a bike to make way for the latest year's model. At £700 or so by all means look at the latest stuff but look for things that were £1200 or so with reductions. They're still brand new bikes but may be the 2015 or 2016 model.

On 22/09/2016 at 20:31, Unleash The Nade said:

Been out on the bike a lot more lately and getting more and more  concerned about the apparent increase of the anti-cycling fuckwits that are out there .

Even when you do stick to the letter of the law , they seem hell bent on either shouting abuse or driving as close as possible when overtaking

it really is time for the powers that be to start clamping down on these mouth breathing c***s , as I'm getting totally pissed off with it

I just smile and wave at folk who act the kunt, no point in getting worked up yourself.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Help me out

Hybrids come in all shapes and sizes, I've two... Ones pretty close to a mountain bike and the others virtually a road/racer with flat handle bars.

10 minutes ago, bennett said:

I just smile and wave at folk who act the kunt, no point in getting worked up yourself.

Ohno don't tell me you're a fellow cyclist am i going to have to lay off you on match day threads now :)

I tend to think a thumbs up drives the motorist into meltdown also

7 hours ago, The Master said:

I'm still cycling into Uni tomorrow regardless

26 minutes ago, Kmeister said:

I've got a Specialized Sirrus Hybrid which does all it needs to. Use it for getting to and from work. It also survived cycling from Edinburgh to Glasgow along the canal paths.

I did that run when my Giant Anyroad cyclocross was new. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but what a mess of my new bike!

I'd recommend a cyclocross. I have a Specialized Tricross and swap out the tyres depending on what I'm doing most of. If I'm doing distances on the road I put 28 Snakeskins on but for trails, canal paths and rougher tracks I put the 38 knobblies on. A cyclocross gives you greater versatility but it'll never be as fast as a road bike.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/30/lorries-face-london-ban-plans-improve-safety-cyclists

The mayor’s office said that over the past two years HGVs were involved in 23% of pedestrian deaths and 58% of cyclist deaths in London, despite accounting for just 4% of the miles driven in the city.

No doubt there will be a lot of push back on this but safer heavy vehicles with better all round vision will make everyone better off, including car drivers.