Official P&b Cycling Thread

Ooft, different turbo machines to mine obviously. I can change resistance on my effort but that's it.

A friend of mine had something like you describe some years ago, it cost him a fair bit back then even although it was second hand and like you say it followed the roads contours etc. He sold it on to a serious athlete as it was good stuff for it's time. Amazing how technology has changed (and seems much more affordable if you need to haggle with the Missus to justify)..:unsure2:

My bird would be fucking seething if I spent what will be a grand on a road bike & turbo trainer [emoji23]

Particularly as I had a road bike in the house which I never used once and traded in for my MTB. Definitely got the bug though and will pick up a road bike post Xmas. I've got a few biggish routes I fancy trying in the NW Highlands. Canny wait till next summer.

Edited for cunting autocorrect.

2 hours ago, broon-loon said:

Ooft, different turbo machines to mine obviously. I can change resistance on my effort but that's it.

A friend of mine had something like you describe some years ago, it cost him a fair bit back then even although it was second hand and like you say it followed the roads contours etc. He sold it on to a serious athlete as it was good stuff for it's time. Amazing how technology has changed (and seems much more affordable if you need to haggle with the Missus to justify)..:unsure2:

Mine is pretty good and it was only about £140.  Tacx BlueMatic I think.

I tried a turbo machine, just a cheap one. I'd fancied one for a while before taking the plunge.

I set it up, got on it, rode for two minutes.

Got off it, packed it back in the box and sold it.

Horrible. 

But that's just me :lol:

Thanks for the views on turbos. 

Boredom is a concern but I guess it's something I could do while watching TV. 

It's a pity I don't know anyone who has one that I can borrow. That would help a lot in deciding.

For the past couple of weeks when I arrive in the morning at the secure shelter I use at work, I've noticed the same lock on the same space. I still go ahead and attach my bike in this space because it's arguably the best one in the shelter (it's on the end of the rack so there's plenty space and less scope for someone doubling-up). When I've gone to leave at night, the lock is securing a bike to a different space...but the next morning it's always back on the other space. 

I can only guess the rider thinks the space is theirs - why else would you deliberately move your lock from where you secured your bike?

So...people who try and "reserve" a space on a rack with their lock - well within their rights, or arrogant arseholes?

40 minutes ago, The Master said:

For the past couple of weeks when I arrive in the morning at the secure shelter I use at work, I've noticed the same lock on the same space. I still go ahead and attach my bike in this space because it's arguably the best one in the shelter (it's on the end of the rack so there's plenty space and less scope for someone doubling-up). When I've gone to leave at night, the lock is securing a bike to a different space...but the next morning it's always back on the other space. 

I can only guess the rider thinks the space is theirs - why else would you deliberately move your lock from where you secured your bike?

So...people who try and "reserve" a space on a rack with their lock - well within their rights, or arrogant arseholes?

Is it a German lock?

• 3 weeks later...

That's three full weeks in a row of cycling to work I've managed. 

I don't even normally do that in the summer, never mind at a time of year that freezes my....ears off. 

It seems that needing to pay for parking has meant I'm less inclined to see a small breeze outside and go "nah" then reach for the car keys. 

On 11/4/2016 at 15:40, The Master said:

That's three full weeks in a row of cycling to work I've managed. 

I don't even normally do that in the summer, never mind at a time of year that freezes my....ears off. 

It seems that needing to pay for parking has meant I'm less inclined to see a small breeze outside and go "nah" then reach for the car keys. 

There's a lesson in there for city planners

Great day at the Leslie Bike Shop demo day yesterday, bagged a lot of bargains including Castelli tops for £20! Finally got a go on the Bianchi Oltre XR4 and lived it but could never own one as it was just too aggressively built and wouldn't be able to use it to its full potential. Almost bought a Venge for £1200!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6 November 2016 at 19:57, statts1976uk said:

Great day at the Leslie Bike Shop demo day yesterday, bagged a lot of bargains including Castelli tops for £20! Finally got a go on the Bianchi Oltre XR4 and lived it but could never own one as it was just too aggressively built and wouldn't be able to use it to its full potential. Almost bought a Venge for £1200!

Imo one of the best bike shops in Scotland for really good bargains. I've bought my last 2 bikes from them and saved a fortune 

btw .. Turbo trainers are for softies, get your arse out there 

On 16/11/2016 at 22:44, Unleash The Nade said:

Imo one of the best bike shops in Scotland for really good bargains. I've bought my last 2 bikes from them and saved a fortune 

btw .. Turbo trainers are for softies, get your arse out there 

Turbo trainers are for softies but do have their place, folded up and dusty in my shed!

4 minutes ago, mjw said:

-6 for the journey home this morning and looking like the same again tomorrow morning.
The cold isn't even the worst,that's the grifter rumbling by and coating me head to toe.

It was a difficult drive through East Lothian today for me let alone cycling.

On 25/11/2016 at 02:33, mjw said:

-6 for the journey home this morning and looking like the same again tomorrow morning.
The cold isn't even the worst,that's the grifter rumbling by and coating me head to toe.

Bit of a minter getting overtaken by a bike like that.