Official P&b Cycling Thread

Noticed the ice on the car roof this morning so wore three layers on top and long fingered gloves for the first time in a while..

It got a bit warm after a few miles though..:P

Think this may be the last week on the road bike, the muddy roads from tattie harvesting is just one reason for thinking the MTB may get a spin shortly.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Gnash said:

I had my first ever puncture while out riding yesterday, which took me 40 minutes to fix.  What's the normal timescale for fixing a puncture at the roadside?

About 5/10 minutes but I never fix my punctures as it's less of a faff just to change the tube. Always carry two tubes!

Last puncture I had was a couple of weeks ago coming down the hill from Kirkcaldy into Thornton at speed. I had just fitted brand new Mavic wheels and was more worried in case I had damaged them.

Edited by statts1976uk

14 hours ago, Gnash said:

I had my first ever puncture while out riding yesterday, which took me 40 minutes to fix.  What's the normal timescale for fixing a puncture at the roadside?

Ten minutes/ish, self adhesive patches can save a bit of time too. I usually carry a spare tube so I can swap tubes and patch it when I get home.

If I'm on a long ride I always bring a spare tube. I always end up a seething mess trying to get the tyre back on though.

I think I'll massively tempt fate here by saying I've not had one on the MTB for about 400 miles or so.

Usually carry two spare tubes though.

Should have said that I did fit a new tube rather than repair the puncture.  My failing was that I've never practiced before so basically had to make up from scratch how to actually do it.  It didn't help that it wasn't a suitable place for changing a puncture (ie, a grass verge) and it was raining! :bairn

Hoping to get the time down to 20 minutes next time though. 

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Should tube replacement be practiced??

My bike should come to me on Monday hopefully and I realise I am pretty underprepared to take on a decent level of cycling. Need to build from the ground I guess. Im sure there are a lot of things that make a good cyclist that im totally unaware of

Hi Bairnardo. This very day I did a wee course with Cycling Scotland, out of the Bike Station at Yorkhill. They also do them in Stirling. Google them.

I've been asked to consider my list for Santa (I know, still far to early...) and I keep returning to the idea of a turbo trainer to keep up my saddle time through the winter.

As I said a couple of weeks go, my intention is to cycle (rather than drive) to work more often than normal through the winter by taking a more pragmatic view of the weather.  But that's just a 6-mile round trip, whereas during the summer I'm more inclined to take the long way home, raising it to 12+ miles. In my mind, a turbo would pick up those missing 6+ miles per day, giving me a more consistent mileage throughout the year.

Does anyone here use a turbo? Is it worth it? Or is it just a way of creating a glorified exercise bike, which I could use with a gym membership?

I've been asked to consider my list for Santa (I know, still far to early...) and I keep returning to the idea of a turbo trainer to keep up my saddle time through the winter.

As I said a couple of weeks go, my intention is to cycle (rather than drive) to work more often than normal through the winter by taking a more pragmatic view of the weather.  But that's just a 6-mile round trip, whereas during the summer I'm more inclined to take the long way home, raising it to 12+ miles. In my mind, a turbo would pick up those missing 6+ miles per day, giving me a more consistent mileage throughout the year.

Does anyone here use a turbo? Is it worth it? Or is it just a way of creating a glorified exercise bike, which I could use with a gym membership?

A turbo is essential for the winter months IMO. I'm never off mine between now and March. I have the Kinetic Road Machine and combined with the Trainer Road app it's decent fun. You can get a decent workout in 30 or 45 minutes.

I'm actually updating to magnetic rollers via Santa.

8 hours ago, The Master said:

Like you I try to cycle to work as often as possible but at a minimum 10 miles each way I usually give up towards the end of October.

On the subject of turbo trainers I have one and do use it from time to time. As you say it pretty much replicates an exercise bike but at least you are sitting on a 'familiar' saddle. I can't remember the type I chose but it was under 100 quid. I use it in the house but you get a bit hot and sweaty...and the noise from it (the trainer not me) really p*sses off Mrs and Daughter..:lol:

Anyway, not sure if the turbo is the answer for me. You tend to get bored quickly and even watching a tv or laptop doesn't help much. I would suggest that you borrow one if possible to see how you like it before buying.

My mate just spent £390 on one. It's preloaded with pretty much every road in the UK and replicates the inclines etc. I'm sure you can even replicate the big events on it, and display the route ahead on a TV.

I was going to get one (a cheaper one) but ill just keep going to the gym and bursting myself on the spin bikes as often as I can.

For me the trainer is essential to keep the fitness up during the winter.  It's not too boring as I just watch telly that I would otherwise have watched sitting on the sofa.  

The great thing about it is you can monitor your progress really closely as you can replicate rides exactly without weather, traffic etc. affecting things.

Bairnardo, not sure if you've bought a bike yet but that one I posted a few pages ago is brilliant.  As an adult I've only owned mountain bikes and it's unbelievable how fast this one is in comparison.  Like Shandon said earlier the acceleration on a road bike (although mine's is technically a hybrid) is great.  I see motorists often under estimate how quickly I move away from give ways or red lights.

On 16/10/2016 at 19:22, jupe1407 said:

My mate just spent £390 on one. It's preloaded with pretty much every road in the UK and replicates the inclines etc. I'm sure you can even replicate the big events on it, and display the route ahead on a TV.

I was going to get one (a cheaper one) but ill just keep going to the gym and bursting myself on the spin bikes as often as I can.

20 hours ago, Gnash said:

For me the trainer is essential to keep the fitness up during the winter.  It's not too boring as I just watch telly that I would otherwise have watched sitting on the sofa.  

The great thing about it is you can monitor your progress really closely as you can replicate rides exactly without weather, traffic etc. affecting things.

Ooft, different turbo machines to mine obviously. I can change resistance on my effort but that's it.

A friend of mine had something like you describe some years ago, it cost him a fair bit back then even although it was second hand and like you say it followed the roads contours etc. He sold it on to a serious athlete as it was good stuff for it's time. Amazing how technology has changed (and seems much more affordable if you need to haggle with the Missus to justify)..:unsure2: