Official P&b Cycling Thread

Happy New year to all fellow cyclists.  I'm sure we've all muttered this is going to be my year on the bike already.

To get me into the training I've  singed up to the Evans Callander event in April.   Now time to get into training with a a target in mind.

Hi everyone

I have just join the cycling fraternity and I am looking for advice. I have read that it is good to take out a tool kit out on the longer rides.  Can anyone recommend what kind I thing I should be taking out (just in case)

Cheers

Tyre levers, spare inner tube (the right size), pump / CO2 cannister (plus fitting) and an allan key / screwdriver set as a minimum I'd say.  Just as importantly, know how to use them.

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Can anyone recommend a bike shop that does great servicing?  Preferably in the Stirling area, but willing to go as far as Glasgow or Edinburgh if it's really good.

Cheers.

I've used Stirling Cycles in the past and found them to be pretty good - http://www.stirlingcycles.co.uk/

17 hours ago, Gnash said:

Tyre levers, spare inner tube (the right size), pump / CO2 cannister (plus fitting) and an allan key / screwdriver set as a minimum I'd say.  Just as importantly, know how to use them.

cheers

all I really need to pick up then is the inner tube and the levers which I was planning on getting any way.

• 2 weeks later...

We've discussed this on one of the preceding 258 pages but may I ask again: which is the chain degreaser of choice amongst the P&B tour des cyclistes? The cleanest I ever got a chain was with white spirit but someone - UtN, iirc - highlighted a problem with that stuff. What was it, again? 

Edited by Bold Rover
Predictive text - Pah!

Loch Ness Etape only 3 months away. Any other P&Bers entered? I've set up the turbo trainer and training will begin in earnest once I get the brats delightful children off to bed. I can do the distance quite comfortably (as comfortably as you can be on a road bike - I think a new saddle might be in order) but I want to up the speed a bit. Plus, that hill. My outdoor training is limited to weekends because of the kids, hence the not-ideal turbo. Have any of you used the Sufferfest videos? Where to start with them - there's loads of them on YouTube...

17 hours ago, Reina said:

Loch Ness Etape only 3 months away. Any other P&Bers entered? I've set up the turbo trainer and training will begin in earnest once I get the brats delightful children off to bed. I can do the distance quite comfortably (as comfortably as you can be on a road bike - I think a new saddle might be in order) but I want to up the speed a bit. Plus, that hill. My outdoor training is limited to weekends because of the kids, hence the not-ideal turbo. Have any of you used the Sufferfest videos? Where to start with them - there's loads of them on YouTube...

I'm bitterly disappointed that I'm missing out this year as I'm starting work at a new base down south the day after. I was a bit unprepared for the King of the Mountain stage but gritted my teeth and got through it. If the weather is good it's a great day and I think you'll really enjoy it but get some hill work in! 

On 19/01/2017 at 21:18, Bold Rover said:

We've discussed this on one of the preceding 258 pages but may I ask again: which is the chain degreaser of choice amongst the P&B tour des cyclistes? The cleanest I ever got a chain was with white spirit but someone - UtN, iirc - highlighted a problem with that stuff. What was it, again? 

Probably all wrong, but I have in the past used petrol, dried it up as best you can externally, rinsed it with WD 40 (again dried it up as best you can), then finally lubed it with chain oil.

Saying that, I tend to change chains fairly regularly. My road bike did about 2000 miles in 2016 so will probably put a new chain on it before it's used this year.

If the chain has a joining link it is much easier to remove it and soak in a bath of cleaner, then soak in your choice of chain oil after this.

The 'cycle boffins' seem to think a worn chain rapidly wears the sprockets and I reckon this makes sense, hence why I both clean and change the chain regularly.

BR, what we should do is fit internal hub gears and use belt drive (or at worst a chain inside a fully enclosed guard).. Old ideas like this are done for a reason..;)

First Proper Training ride of 2017, for me today. Was going to do 48km but the weather intervened

30km from Bridge of Don to Newmachar and back, first 12km were great with a mildish tailwind, changed to go into a crosswind for 6km, which is where the wind really picked up to gusts of 64km/h. The 12km headwind back to my flat was brutal, ended up bringing the average speed down by about 6km/h to 23.6k/h.

Anyway, these base kilometres will help me, so I can actually be competitive in road races throughout 2017.

On 23/01/2017 at 19:01, Reina said:

I have, although I haven't actually got a road bike yet :lol:

I'm impatiently waiting for Decathlon to get new stock in of the Ultra AF900 105 which will necessitate some faffing around via the bike to work scheme.