Official P&b Cycling Thread

5 hours ago, bennett said:

Anyone else into the more leisurely aspects of cycling, a few hours in the fresh air rather than going for speed and distance...

That's me! I thought I was the only cyclist today who doesn't have a computer on his bike, recording distance, speed etc.

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

That's me! I thought I was the only cyclist today who doesn't have a computer on his bike, recording distance, speed etc.

Funnily enough I often feel the opposite - I'm the only one out to push myself (almost) as hard as possible.  I think being able to see your speed, record best times and segment leads is great.  When I'm riding with others I do take it easier, but when I'm on my own I enjoy it most when I'm riding as fast as I can.

Nothing wrong at all with taking it easy and not worrying about speed or times, but it's not for me.

On 07/03/2017 at 22:06, Unleash The Nade said:

Just over 8 weeks to go before I'm off to Majorca with the bike club again.

Been looking at the routes and reckon we'll do just over 510 miles and a total of approx 40,000 feet of climbing 

Looking forward to it with apprehension !

Apprehension ! much better than wading through the p*ssing rain every other day :-)

Went out this morning, started as a lovely calm day (for about 15 mins), came home in breezy, rainy conditions. Managed 45 miles @ 14mph with a shade under 2000ft ascent which i reasonable progress. Still 7 weeks until Etape Loch Ness so I'm feeling pretty positive about it. Most of the first 16 miles were into a strong breeze which was a bit tedious to say the least :lol:

Went out this morning, started as a lovely calm day (for about 15 mins), came home in breezy, rainy conditions. Managed 45 miles @ 14mph with a shade under 2000ft ascent which i reasonable progress. Still 7 weeks until Etape Loch Ness so I'm feeling pretty positive about it. Most of the first 16 miles were into a strong breeze which was a bit tedious to say the least [emoji38]

Was it pleasurable?
Asking for a ***.

That's me back on the bike in an effort to lose a bit of weight. Have to say I'm really not enjoying cycling on the road though. It may only be a few idiots but when they fly by just inches away or cut in front of you it's not funny. 

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

That's me back on the bike in an effort to lose a bit of weight. Have to say I'm really not enjoying cycling on the road though. It may only be a few idiots but when they fly by just inches away or cut in front of you it's not funny. 

A bike makes you invisible, especially at junctions. Saying that i still enjoy a few hours out on the country roads, don't think I'm losing much weight but probably stopping more weight going on.

Getting back into the road bike and out twice this weekend.
30 miles and soaked yesterday and 58 dry, but blustery miles today at an average of 18.8 mph , so happy with that 

That's some pace.

I managed 38 miles at 13.4mph today. Not brilliant but long uphill stretches into the wind were a bitch. Last 5 were mostly down/crosswind which was rather enjoyable [emoji38]

Quick question: Am I better upgrading to a 32 rear cassette from a 28?

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

That's some pace.

I managed 38 miles at 13.4mph today. Not brilliant but long uphill stretches into the wind were a bitch. Last 5 were mostly down/crosswind which was rather enjoyable emoji38.png

If you feel you need the 32 for hills then it's a no brainer IMO.  I wouldn't see it as upgrade but just a sensible decision to increase your enjoyment and keep you spinning. 

11 minutes ago, Daydream said:

If you feel you need the 32 for hills then it's a no brainer IMO.  I wouldn't see it as upgrade but just a sensible decision to increase your enjoyment and keep you spinning. 

Cheers. I'm relatively new to road biking but i find i do enjoy climbing, so a 32 probably makes sense. It looks like I can probably get the parts for about £90 which is pretty decent considering the potential saving in pain :lol:

Cheers. I'm relatively new to road biking but i find i do enjoy climbing, so a 32 probably makes sense. It looks like I can probably get the parts for about £90 which is pretty decent considering the potential saving in pain :lol:

I'm not the most technically minded but make sure your new cassette has the same number of sprockets as your old one - i.e. 10 or 11.

I'd probably speak to the nice people in Nicholsons myself :)

Just now, Daydream said:

I'm not the most technically minded but make sure your new cassette has the same number of sprockets as your old one - i.e. 10 or 11.

Probably a sensible idea tbh :lol:

8 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

If you find you're climbing ok with the 28 then I'd stick with that. The 32 will help you out on the double figure gradients though, that's for sure

1 hour ago, Papad said:

If you find you're climbing ok with the 28 then I'd stick with that. The 32 will help you out on the double figure gradients though, that's for sure

It's OK on the hills around me as there's noting horrifically steep that isn't over quickly, I can deal with them OK by standing out of the saddle, however I holiday quite frequently in the North West and intend to do a lot of cycling there in future, including Bealach na Ba in May :lol:  I don't think i could physically do that with a 28 tbh.

9 hours ago, Daydream said:

You might also need a longer derallieur cage