Official P&b Cycling Thread

Been working hard at the gym over the winter to try and improve my overall fitness and having regular wattbike sessions.
Most recent 20 minute FTP test I managed to achieve a 313 watt average, so it seems to be paying off
Roll on the Summer !

Not as intense but I've been doing spin classes three times a week since July which has made a ridiculous difference to my fitness levels. Around 4 weeks till I get my road bike which hopefully coincides with some good non windy weather. 23rd April doesn't seem long now [emoji23]

Spent a Halfords voucher today on Shimano shoes and pedals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2017 at 18:30, jupe1407 said:

Not as intense but I've been doing spin classes three times a week since July which has made a ridiculous difference to my fitness levels. Around 4 weeks till I get my road bike which hopefully coincides with some good non windy weather. 23rd April doesn't seem long now emoji23.png

Spent a Halfords voucher today on Shimano shoes and pedals.

Or maybe just a few days :lol:

Picked up a B'Twin Ultra 900AF 105 today from Edinburgh's Decathlon Store, with thanks to the CycleScheme. Just waiting for some even half decent weather now to give the thing a blast 

Signed up for the Ride the North and the Evans Callender event need to start getting my finger out and some training in sharpish.   Going to try this zwift thing out and make the turbo more bearable anyone tried it

I'm doing the Evans ride as well. Signed up for the longer route, but might change down depending on how much training I can get in.

23 hours ago, printer said:

I'm doing the Evans ride as well. Signed up for the longer route, but might change down depending on how much training I can get in.

Yeah pretty much what we've done signed up to the big one to try get us out training but its just not kicked off yet.  im still in too cold winter mode lol  will probably drop to the lower ride on the day

With some nice dry roads yesterday I took the afternoon off work to get out on my new bike, my first time on a roadbike since about 1985 :lol:  Great fun although I was a bit slower than I'd expected to be. Averaged 14.6mph over 23 miles with not much more than a couple of hundred metres-worth of ascent. A reasonable start though, and once I've got properly used to it and got some decent mileage in, I should be in decent shape for the Loch Ness Etape

9 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Speaking of FTP tests, my FTP came in at 173watts, quite a bit below the 200 I was aiming for.

Will be doing some more Wattbike sessions to better my fitness before the racing season starts in April

I'd to Google that, disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
Dragged out the MTB and cycled just over 10 miles to work this morning.
First time on the bike for over 4 months.
'A shock to the system' might be an understatement.... [emoji38]

This was me three weeks ago. I started a new job nearly 8 miles away and it's pretty much uphill the whole way with the wind ALWAYS in my face.
I've been cycling for years so I have the miles in my legs but it's hard going. In bed the other night I got a bad cramp in my leg and felt like screaming.
I'm 39 soon and 15 stone and Just wondering if anyone has actually gotten fit and trim at that age or will I still be blowing out my arse this time next year.

Probably easier in some respects as you get older, most people are less inclined to go out bevvying all weekend and can be more clued up and committed towards diet, training, rest etc.

Edited by Kool Keith

I'm definitely hungrier the last couple of weeks and wolf my dinner down when I get it!
In my twenties I got muscle burn but now it's just aching.
Right now my legs are like jelly and I'm hardly recovering in time for the next morning. Disheartening getting passed out by fellas in snickers trousers and work boots lol.

I'm definitely hungrier the last couple of weeks and wolf my dinner down when I get it!
In my twenties I got muscle burn but now it's just aching.
Right now my legs are like jelly and I'm hardly recovering in time for the next morning. Disheartening getting passed out by fellas in snickers trousers and work boots lol.

Someone passed them when they started out though.
I used to time myself and use apps to record my journey,then I said f**k it I'm only going to work.