Official P&b Cycling Thread

Anyone know anything about the new Larbert Wheelers club thats recently started up? Somebody told me that they're a group of former Falkirk members who have left to start their own club for reasons unknown. They dont have a website or any presence on social media.

Two quick bike related questions.

1) bought some continental 4000 gt tires for my Triban 3 (yes I have managed to keep one still running despite 5 years of abuse on Glasgow and sydneys roads). On changing the tires I noticed 2 broken spikes that mean the wheel is pulling really badly. I take it this will be a repair for the local bike shop?

2) the bearing in one of the pedals went yesterday (today was not a good bike day). I am still using the original triban pedals with the toe clips. I have size 14 feet, so finding clip in shoes is a nightmare. Are toe clips the best alternative?

6 hours ago, fanny paddery said:

1) bought some continental 4000 gt tires for my Triban 3 (yes I have managed to keep one still running despite 5 years of abuse on Glasgow and sydneys roads). On changing the tires I noticed 2 broken spikes that mean the wheel is pulling really badly. I take it this will be a repair for the local bike shop?

Spokes and a wheel true should be a relatively cheap job in a bike shop, unless the rim has taken damage and bent, then its a new wheel. 

Are toe clips the best alternative?

My personal preference is for clip in shoes (they are called clipless for a silly reason) as that supports the whole foot when riding and I find it a lot more comfortable. But its a personal preference. For commuting clips are fine but they irritate me as you need to always rotate the pedal the right way up and that can be a pain when riding home drun ummm I mean sometime when tired. 

44 minutes ago, Reina said:

I've got mountain bike clips for pedals on my roadie, as I wasn't too keen on road pedals. Total rebel.

I'm exactly the same, I rode with Look Keos for a while then changed to mountain bike clips and never looked back.

Touring shoes are a good compromise for commuting and out shopping. I had some shoes that were supposed to be for mountain bikes but they were not great in terms of stiffness of the sole. The tourers I bought were stiff enough to be comfortable on long rides and you can still walk on them without that weird duck walk thing pure road bike shoes get. 

Got my bike out for the first time this year. It's a single speed. Went up Arthur's Seat. Quite hard work as you've no option to get out of the saddle and blast it. Only did about 20 miles but it's a good way to explore Edinburgh.

On 5/8/2017 at 12:57, fanny paddery said:

2) the bearing in one of the pedals went yesterday (today was not a good bike day). I am still using the original triban pedals with the toe clips. I have size 14 feet, so finding clip in shoes is a nightmare. Are toe clips the best alternative?

I've kept my Triban 3 running too and it was on original and somewhat worn tyres until the weekend when I finally suffered the dreaded Buckie inflicted puncture. Ended up going for Michelin Lithion 2 tyres. Been very impressed with the sturdiness of the bike and would head Decathlon's way again. 

I replaced the original pedals for road clipless years ago when I was using it for longer rides. Stopped using the road shoes recently as walking in them was tough and just standard trainers these days, which actually are ok. Need to change the pedals but haven't bothered with doing it.

Never understood these sportive-charity rides, the thought of paying silly money to get a medal to ride on roads that you can ride on for free(early mornings hardly a car) surrounded by once a year 3k bike riding executive c***s....no thanks. :)

9 hours ago, tbsouth said:

Never understood these sportive-charity rides, the thought of paying silly money to get a medal to ride on roads that you can ride on for free(early mornings hardly a car) surrounded by once a year 3k bike riding executive c***s....no thanks. :)

You can't ride in groups of 50+ on roads closed to motor traffic for free.

Never understood these sportive-charity rides, the thought of paying silly money to get a medal to ride on roads that you can ride on for free(early mornings hardly a car) surrounded by once a year 3k bike riding executive c***s....no thanks. [emoji4]

You can't ride in groups of 50+ on roads closed to motor traffic for free.

Telt